Monday, July 16, 2018

Mixed Drink Monday: Blackberry Long Island Iced Tea


I have had exactly ONE Long Island Iced Tea in my life.  (Which is more times than I've been to Long Island.)  That one Long Island was very strong.  Very strong.  I remember making it in the middle of the day at the lake, knowing it was going to be strong and thinking if I drank it in the afternoon there would be plenty of time to drink water in the evening and thus save myself a hangover.

That was a really good plan.  I drank a lot of water (I also just drink a lot of water anyways) and no hangover!  And I thought I didn't really like Long Islands after that.

Well, searching for a way to use the leftover Sweet and Sour mix I had from this, I came up with a recipe for a Strawberry Long Island.  And since I had all the ingredients besides the strawberry daquiri mix...I figured it was time to give Long Islands another shot.

And since I also had leftover blackberry simple syrup from the same margaritas and I didn't want to buy strawberry daquiri mix for the tiny bit needed...this turned into a blackberry long island iced tea.

Once again, being wise from past experience, I drank this in the afternoon at the lake.  I added a lot of ice, my favorite way to chill (water down) drinks.  And, you know what?  This was delightful!  I super enjoyed it, as did Matt (since he actually wanted one of my "fancy" drinks for once).  It was fruity, not too strong, and delicious!  I'm pretty sure I will be making another before the summer is out!  Maybe partially because I still have blackberry simple syrup and sweet and sour mix to use, but also because it was good.

One year ago: Mimosa Sangria
Two years ago:
Past Favorites
Three years ago:
Strawberries & Cream  
Four years ago: Sparkling Lemonade & Skinny Pina Colada
  

Blackberry Long Island Iced Tea

yield: 1 drink
Ingredients
Blackberry Simple Syrup
-¾ cup washed blackberries
-¾ cup sugar
-1 cup water

Iced Tea
-1TB vodka
-1TB tequilia
-1TB rum
-1 TB triple sec
-3TB sweet & sour mix
-3TB blackberry simple syrup
-ice

Directions
Blackberry Simple Syrup
1) To make the blackberry simple syrup, combine the blackberries, sugar, and water in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat.
2) Smash blackberries with a potato masher and let the whole thing cool for at least 10 minutes.
3) Press through a sieve to remove the seeds.  Store sealed in the fridge until ready to use.

Long Island Iced Tea
Fill glass with ice (or as much ice as you prefer), add all the ingredients and stir well.  Enjoy!


 

Source: modified from A Taste of Meghan's Kitchen
____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!  

No comments: