Monday, September 3, 2018

Mixed Drink Monday: Rum Slush


We've made it!  This is my 13th and final drink recipe for the summer!  I feel pretty lucky to have gotten 13 in!  I mean, not necessarily making them, because that seems to happen pretty easily (no judgements please) but blogging about them all??  THAT feels like a huge accomplishment.  This blogging this has been so hit or miss since Sam came home 6 months ago and I feel like all I wrote about all summer has been drinks, ice cream, and reading.  Which, to me, that makes for a pretty good summer.  So feeling pretty good about that but finding the time to write about anything else just hardly happened (and pretty much only the week Luke was at VBS). 

I have so many thoughts about the transition to two kids that might finally make me question my sanity in wishing for twins BUT that's not what this post is about.  (I also said question my sanity, not be totally opposed to twins.  We'd still gladly take them I just wouldn't be blogging about it for about 3 years.)

This post is about Rum Slush.  Now, slush makes me think of half melted snow and those yucky weeks at the end of winter when it's all melting and everything is muddy and you can't send the kid to play outside in the snow but playing in mud is certainly not appealing to Mom (although probably to the 5 year old) and blech.  I can tolerate winter and I like spring, but I dislike the transition between the two.

But unlike that messy slush, this slush is delightful.   It's fruity.  It's refreshing.  It's easy to make.  It makes a big batch so you can dip into it all weekend.  It's just a great, easy summer drink. 

I made half the batch as written below but the other half I left out the rum so Luke could enjoy some too.  It needs a few minutes at room temp to be scoopable without the rum to keep it less frozen BUT it's still really cool and refreshing.  And maybe proof that I'm not just drinking alcohol all summer (I'm really not.)

This is a great drink for any time of year, maybe even September days where it's still mid-80s and you are wondering if you ever won't sweat walking to school pick-up.  And I wish I had some of this waiting for me back home.  But that might just be me.


One year ago: Mai Tai
Two years ago:
Hawaiian Lava Flow
Three years ago:
Fruity Rum Fizzes Four years ago: Strawberry Margarita & Orange Julius



Rum Slush
yield: A lot of servings.  16? 
Ingredients
-24oz pineapple juice
-24oz grapefruit juice or some grapefruit juice blend
-1 (12oz) can frozen OJ concentrate, at least mostly thawed
-1 (12oz) can frozen lemonade concentrate, at least mostly thawed
-½ cup sugar
-6 cups cold water
-16oz rum (for a full rum'ed batch)
-7-Up, Sprite, generic alternative for serving

Directions
Combine the pineapple juice, grapefruit juice, juice concentrates, and sugar in a large bowl and stir until the sugar is dissolved.  Add the water and rum and stir to combine.  Freeze in the large bowl or another freezer safe container.

To serve, scoop a few spoonfuls into a glass and top with Sprite.  Enjoy!



  
Source: slightly modified from The Kitchen is my Playground

____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page

No comments: