Thursday, June 27, 2019

Patriotic Kabobs



Can you believe we are almost at the 4th of July already??  I always think of that holiday as the mid-point in the summer.  Which wasn't true when our summers were Memorial Day - Labor Day (which is still what I think of as summer) but now that Luke will be back in school in mid-August (can we PLEASE push that start date back a couple weeks??  The first two weeks of June are rarely nice but we rush to be out of school then anyways!) so the 4th is about the mid-point of summer now. 

The 4th always feels like peak summer, summer at it's summeriest.  I want to have a cookout, eat burgers and corn on the cob, drink American beer (or maybe not, I don't drink a lot of beer), and sit by the pool and read while the boys play (we haven't tried the inflatable pool with Sam yet this year, I don't expect I'll have a lot of "sitting by the pool and reading" while he's in/around the pool this year!  Maybe if it's just Luke during a naptime.)  Matt and Luke will want a watermelon (there's a reason I've never posted a watermelon recipe here...) and I want all the blueberries (I always want all the blueberries).  It's when strawberry and blueberry season kinda overlap which means we have a good chance of getting good berries of both.  I want lemonade for Luke and sparklers for all.  Matt only ever gets just the 4th off (unless it falls over a weekend) so it's a lot of summering to pack into one day!

I don't want to spend time cleaning or in the kitchen doing massive food prep.  Grilling seems patriotic.  Boiling water for corn too.  And if you are looking for a super easy and not very time consuming dessert to add to your patriotic meal (or just regular meal), I've got one!

This was as simple as washing and hulling the berries.  Making brownies (easily done in advance) and then doing a whole bunch of skewering.  Luke helped me and it didn't take too long (20 minutes?).  I made a couple without marshmallows (because I don't like those either, the list of foods I do not eat is rather long).  A couple without brownies (for those crazy people who don't like chocolate).  Easily customized and they feel festive!

I don't need to type up a recipe, right?  The pictures are pretty self explanatory! Go forth and skewer!

No comments: