Monday, June 24, 2019

Mixed Drink Monday: Red, White, & Blue Margaritas


By the end of every summer I start thinking about if I am going to take on this drink project again.  I usually double up drinks so I'm done with making them for blog content by about mid-July so then the rest of the summer I get to make easy drinks or drink something from a can or bottle or just make something and not be concerned with how the lighting is so I can immediately photograph it.

Then about mid-July last year, when I was done with my drink making for the blog, I came across this recipe and I immediately knew I was going to be doing the drink project again because I needed to make these and what is the point on making new drinks if not to share them with the internet?

Then by April or May I've usually accumulated enough recipes to get me through the summer, both ice cream and drinks, especially this summer since I am alternating them.  And I get really excited about all the deliciousness I am going to consume from May - September.


These drinks though.  They are one of the few that I've had to make twice just for blog content.  I made these first almost a month ago.  I took pictures of them.  But I knew they were quite right.  I still drank them, OF COURSE, but they didn't turn out right.  Then we went on vacation and I forgot all about the failed margaritas until we got back and I started blogging again and I realized I was supposed to post these in a week and I still hadn't successfully made them.  Which meant I bought prop blueberries (which I definitely ate later) and made these on a Thursday and got them done.

Because if you can't post about Red, White, and Blue margaritas the week before the 4th, when can you?? 


One year ago: Blackberry Crush
Two years ago:
Coconut Pineapple Margarita
Three years ago:
Triple Berry Sangria

Four years ago: Skinny Pineapple Smoothie & Strawberry Lime Mojitos

Five years ago:  Drinks x's 3

Red, White & Blue Margaritas
yield: 2 drinks
Ingredients
1/3 cup frozen strawberries
1/3 cup frozen blueberries
1/3 cup coconut cream
6 TB (3oz) tequila, divided
3 TB (1.5oz) frozen limeade concentrate, divided
6 tsp (1oz) triple sec, divided
2 cups ice, divided

Directions
1) Slice a lime and rub around the edge of your glasses.  Dip in salt (I used this coconut salt because I love it).  Set aside.
2) Start with the strawberry layer.  Mix 1/3 cup frozen strawberries, 2 TB tequila, 1 TB limeade concentrate, 2 tsp triple sec, and 2/3 cup of ice in a blender.  Blend until smooth.  Divide between the glasses and put glasses in the freezer.  Rinse out the blender.
3) Coconut layer: Mix 1/3 cup coconut cream, 2 TB tequila, 1 TB limeade concentrate, 2 tsp triple sec, and 2/3 cup of ice in a blender.  Blend until smooth.  Divide between the glasses and put glasses in the freezer. (You don't need to rinse out the blender.)
4) Blueberry layer: Mix 1/3 cup frozen blueberries, 2 TB tequila, 1 TB limeade concentrate, 2 tsp triple sec, and 2/3 cup of ice in a blender.  Blend until smooth.  Divide between the glasses.  Serve and enjoy!


Source: idea from Gimme Some Oven, I used my frozen strawberry margarita recipe as the base.
____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page

No comments: