Tuesday, July 2, 2019

{5} Times I Got the America Feeling

In her podcast, Happier, Gretchen Rubin has often mentioned getting in the "America Feeling".  When she feels a great pride in being American, in what our nation has accomplished. (We all know it's not all great, but we're just focusing on the good stuff for now).  I immediately understand what she meant.  There have been a handful of times where I've gotten an especially strong "America Feeling".  Here are a few:




1) Watching the evening lighting at Mount Rushmore

One of the last vacations I took with my family was out west to Yellowstone with stops at the Badlands and Mount Rushmore on the way.  We were camping near Mount Rushmore and got to go to the evening lighting ceremony. The website currently describes it as: "a ranger talk, playing of the national anthem, lighting of the memorial and a flag folding demonstration" which I can't be 100% sure is what happened when we went 16 years ago but is at least pretty close from my memory.  I don't know that I've ever felt more patriotic then when we were sitting in front of that massive monument, hearing the national anthem, and seeing all the lights come on.  It was pretty awe inspiring.

2) In the days following 9/11
I was just a few weeks into my freshman year at the University of Dayton when 9/11 happened.  We were far away in Ohio but it was still a lot to take in, added to the fact I was already homesick.  The campus had a vigil that night or the next and American flags appeared everywhere.  I still have the paper one that hung in our dorm window for the rest of that school year.  I was not directly impacted in any way and I know there are thousands, 10s of thousands, who were but I felt very strongly American in those days that followed.

3) Seeing the Statue of Liberty
We've been to New York City four times now and have seen the Statue of Liberty every time.  Twice going inside, twice from afar.  It is one of the most iconic things in America and getting to see her in person, especially that first time, was very moving.  I had wanted to go there ever since I knew about New York and especially the Statue.  Even though it was a gift from another country, there was something so American about seeing her, touching her hair from the inside, seeing the tablet from above, that was so very cool. 

4) Being in Washington DC over Memorial Day weekend
Ten years ago Matt had a cousin get married in Washington DC over Memorial Day weekend.  We went, staying just a couple blocks from the White House.  We walked around the monuments in the evening, seeing them all lit up (I'm not sure we did that when I went with my family 12 years earlier, since we were camping further out?).  Matt and I walked around the monuments on Sunday.  They are all so very iconic America and getting to see them, especially that weekend, was very moving. 

5) Singing America the Beautiful at lake Mass
We usually sing this a couple times a year at lake Mass, as the closing song, and there is something especially special about singing it outside, at Mass, with a pavilion of people singing along.  Maybe I'm just extra emotional from the possible lack of sleep but I always get a swell of good emotion, pride at being American, and just grateful for everyone.  I get upset if we don't sing it at least twice over the summer!

Can you identify with getting the "America feeling"?  When have you gotten it? (Apologizes to anyone not from America).

No comments: