Wednesday, August 14, 2019

ICOTW: Raspberry Peach Popsicles


Back in May my Mom e-mailed myself and my local sisters to tell us that The Peach Truck would be coming to town twice in July She was interested in getting some peaches and wanted to let us know in case we wanted some too.  The first time The Peach Truck was here she was out of town and none of us remembered to get peaches.  The second time she let us all know that she was going to get peaches for herself and would pick some up for us too.  Well, I think we pretty much all jumped on that offer.  I don't have to drag my boys out of bed, across town, and wait in line to get peaches?  But instead have them delivered to my doorstep, when my Mom was coming to babysit my boys, and then she would also lay them all out on my counter for me?  Yes.  I have a wonderful Mom.  (I did pay her for the peaches, to be clear, she just did all the work of procuring them.)

It was pretty exciting to have a whole lot of not quite yet but about to be ripe peaches on my counter.  Blueberries have long remained among my very favorite foods, of course topping my fruit list, but next is usually whatever fruit is currently perfectly in season (which means it changes frequently in the summer).  

After a couple days the peaches were ready to be dealt with.  I think I ate 4 by lunchtime that first day.  They were perfectly ripe, juice dripping down my arm while I ate.  PERFECT.  We had a busy weekend ahead of us (NOT at the lake) and I knew they mostly all needed dealt with on Friday.  By the end of Friday I was OVER peaches. 

I made peach crisp, a double batch of peach sorbet, these popsicles, and then froze 3 cookie sheets of them peeled and sliced. It was a LOT of hours in the kitchen but I couldn't let my perfect peaches (and money) go to waste.  The boys and I also ate a lot of fresh ones (again, Matt preferring peaches when they are rock hard, something I have yet to get after over a decade of marriage).  We still have quite a few peaches in various forms in the freezer and I am already missing the perfectly ripe ones.  They were perfect.

I planned this recipe to coincide with when I knew I would have these peaches.  They were pretty easy, like most popsicles are, and they are just so pretty with the layered colors (something that did not work as well as I had hoped).  Peaches and raspberries both make for fantastic and vivid colors and these perfectly capture that.  And they taste pretty good.  Those ripe peaches wouldn't have lasted on my counter this long but they can live on awhile more as popsicles!

One year ago: Brownie Caramel Chocolate Ice Cream
Two years ago: Sweet Peach Ice Cream
Three years ago: Creamy Strawberry Ice Cream
Four years ago: Peach Sorbet


Raspberry Peach Popsicles
yield: I got about 16 but depends on the size of your molds
Ingredients
Peach Layer
-1½ cups peaches (peeled and pitted)
-¼ cup milk (I used 2% because we had it but would have preferred coconut milk)
-½ cup orange juice
-¼ tsp vanilla extract
-1TB honey

Raspberry Layer 
-2 cups raspberries (fresh or frozen)
-½ cup water
-2 TB honey
-juice of ½ lemon

Directions
1) For the peach layer, combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.  Set aside.

2) For the raspberry layer, combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.  For the smoothest layer you can then push it through a mesh sieve to remove the seeds but if you are using frozen raspberries like I did, this won't really be possible (too frozen).

3) Alternate pouring the peach and raspberry layers into the molds.  Freeze at least 4 hours until solid.  Enjoy!




Source: modified from One Lovely Life

__________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 

No comments: