Monday, December 16, 2019

Mixed Drink Monday: Cran-Apple Sangria


I don't often write these posts in the middle of the winter!  We don't typically drink much outside of the summer and when we do it's often sharing a rum & coke (we won these ½ pint beer glasses when we were in London, coming in second in a pub quiz night and they turned out to be just the right size to each hold ½ can of (caffeine-free) coke/pepsi and then some rum.  It's a perfectly sized drink.)

I don't drink much wine but I do like to have something special to drink for the Christmas celebrations.  I am also not a huge fan of cranberries but they seem perfectly seasonal this time of year.  So here I am, writing about a drink where I am not big on any of the components.  I'm clearly someone to be taking advice from.

BUT you mix all that together, with some sparkling juice and apples and it makes for a delightful drink.  Here's what's true about almost every sangria recipe I've posted: I cut the alcohol in half, leave everything else the same OR increase it.  I like sangria but I like sparkling juice more so this fits me perfectly.  It's just enough alcohol but really, mostly juice which is just how I like it.

We had these for some Christmas celebrations last year and enjoyed them so much I plan to make them again this year! 


Cran-Apple Sangria
yield: 1 pitcher, at least 8 drinks, depending how you pour
Ingredients
-1 - 750ml bottle of wine (I used a rose from Aldi)
-1 bottle sparkling juice (I used white sparkling grape juice, from Aldi)
-¼ cup sugar
-¼ cup cranberries, halved
-¾ cup cranberries, whole
-1 apple, chopped

Directions
1) Wash cranberries, halve about a quarter of them.  Core and chop apple. 
2) Add all ingredients to a pitcher and stir until sugar is dissolved.
3) Let chill in the fridge for at least 6 hours before serving.  (This will keep for days in there.)  Enjoy!


Source: modified from Cake n Knife

No comments: