Wednesday, July 22, 2020

ICOTW: Chocolate Cinnamon Custard


Chocolate ice cream is generally my favorite of the ice creams I make.  (Although I could quickly, off the top of my head, come up with 3-4 favorites that AREN'T chocolate.)  I really enjoy it. HOWEVER, as my mother discovered after, I believe, my 2nd birthday party where I ate chocolate cake...I cannot handle large amounts of chocolate in the evening.  At least if I want to sleep at night, which I generally do.  Caffeine really effects me (as I also recently relearned when I had a frozen coke at 3pm and couldn't sleep 9 hours later, I don't think all of these are coincidences.). 

We often have ice cream cones in our backyard, under the string lights (post coming tomorrow on those!), after supper.  It's a delightful routine and it keeps the mess out of the kitchen.  It's also really nice to end our day, the pre-bedtime routine part, together. 

However.

I cannot eat this, or any other chocolate ice cream I've made, then because I really value sleep.  So this has been made an after lunch ice cream dessert where I then have to explain to Luke why I am eating ice cream and he...isn't.  Some days I don't get caught.  Some days, like today, I do.  Will that stop me from having an ice cream cone this evening?  We will see.  There is a reason quarantine me isn't in the best shape of my life!  I would have a hard time giving up ice cream even if I could get it down to a more reasonable once a day

(I don't eat ice cream twice a day, nearly ever day, to be clear.  Not even once a day, every day.  But there are days I eat it twice a day.) 

This was a relatively straight forward process compared to some others I've made.  I found the separating eggs bit the hardest but they do make it awfully creamy!  The cinnamon adds a nice touch of spice without overwhelming the chocolate, something I really appreciate, as much as I like cinnamon, I just like chocolate more.  Highly recommend this, if it wasn't for my sleep-hampering, I'd be making a lot more chocolate ice cream in the summer!

One year ago: Chocolate Coconut Sorbet

Two years ago: Coconut Pineapple Sorbet
Three years ago: No-Churn Brownie Carmel Ice Cream
Four years ago: Delectable Dark Chocolate Ice Cream

Five years ago: Fruit Coconut Pops

(Apparently mid-July is the time I make coconut flavored frozen things)



Chocolate Cinnamon Custard
yield: about 1 quart
Ingredients
-2½ cups heavy cream
-½ cup milk (I usually use whole in ice cream)
-¾ cup white sugar
-2 TB unsweetened dark chocolate powder
-1 ounce dark chocolate bar
-5 egg yolks
-1½ tsp cinnamon

Directions
1) Whisk together the cream, milk, sugar, and chocolate powder in a saucepan over medium heat until it is combined and the sugar is dissolved.  Bring to a simmer and stir in the chocolate bar until melted.  Whisk in the egg yolks and cook until the mixture will coat the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes.  Transfer to a bowl and refridgerate until cool, at least 6 hours.
2) Stir in the cinnamon and churn according to your machine's instructions.  Pack into a freezer safe container and press a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap on top.  Freeze until solid, at least 6 hours.  Let come to room temperature for ~5 minutes before serving.  Enjoy!



Source: slightly modified from All Recipes

__________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 
 

No comments: