Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Looking back at January 2021

Look, I know we are nearly midway through February but I just realized that I never wrote a January recap post.  And I like to complete things meaning if I skipping January the whole year (and internet) would be missing out.   Heavy sarcasm there, but I do feel the need to wrap last month up...finally.

January.  Still in a pandemic.  Matt got his second vaccine shot so he's now fully vaccinated which is a relief.  Luke got his first 2 hour delay, followed the next week but his first "snow" (e-learning due to weather) day, and the next week TWO "snow" days AND a 2 hour delay.  Once winter decided it was really showing up, it REALLY showed up.  Our grass has been fully covered for almost 2 weeks and it feel like every morning we wake up to a fresh dusting.  Which is fine.  If it's going to be cold at least there is snow and we've had a lot of sunny days recently (between all the snow) which is SO NICE.  I prefer a bright white winter to dully cloudy days.  And at least Luke is always willing to play in the snow which means at least one kid is getting fresh air and active time each day.  It's a lot harder to send them out to play when the backyard is a mud pit! 

Looking back:
1 year ago: Book Love: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
2 years ago: {18} Winter Picture Books
3 years ago: The Whole House Purge
4 years ago: Beast of a Blanket
5 years ago: Who Doesn't Love Getting Mail?
6 years ago: A Decade in a Box
7 years ago: Office Renovations (I've updated some pictures but this has largely stayed the same for 7 years!)
8 years ago:
It is a New Year, a New Beginning (back when I made baguettes weekly!)
10 years ago: The Carpet has Landed!
12 years ago:
First post!

 

1) Woke up on January 1st to a whole lot of ice which meant a cozy day at home!
2) Spending time in the great outdoors at my sister's farm with a lot of cousins.  Actually very comfortable with all our snow gear on!
3) Icy trees at my sister's!  Beautiful!  And the roads were still clear!
4) I love all the Christmas lights on the porch, the night before the star was packed away! (The lights around the windows are still up and will keep turning on twice a day until March 1st!)
5) Snow!  You can still see grass poking through.
6) Ice on the picnic table, I believe, after taking Luke to school one morning.  But the roads were still clear!
7) Matt & Sam fixing a badly patched spot in our floor that became glaringly obvious when we refinished these floors...almost 4 years ago.  Finally reinforced! (I had just gotten in the habit of never stepping there!)
8) Ok, I don't know why I took this picture but reading on the couch IS a favorite winter (all year) pastime.
9) Oh look, snow!  The house looked so pretty in the snow!
10) Sam decided he wanted to wear Luke's inflatable t-rex costume.  I spent 5 minutes putting it on him.  As soon as I got it all zipped up, Sam wanted it off.  I made him take a picture first.
11) It's amazing how many pictures I took of snow this month.  Grass still poking through!
12) This may have been the snow that gave us the first "snow" day of the year. 
13) Sunset while definitely not driving.  Beautiful clear sky colors!
14) My favorite way to spend a snow day, while Matt & the boys were out shoveling, I will definitely take a quiet house to cuddle up and read!
15) That's a lot of snow.  We woke up to 6-7" on a Saturday morning.
16) This bush isn't looking it's best in the snow!

Books finished: 17!  Kicking the year off to a good start!
Miles ran:
0.00...sometimes I am able to start running again in February (I did a few days before we got Sam!) but all the snow and ice on the ground isn't looking promising.
Currently watching:
Valentine's episodes!  And, after skipping around to a lot of our favorite episodes, Matt and I started rewatching Community together.  
Most read post this month: Stripping: Laundry Style, as it has been for nearly a year.  Followed by Book Love: Moon Over Manifest which is nearly 4 years old and seems to have come out of nowhere!
Luke's current favorite song:
  HANDS DOWN, "You've Got a Friend in Me" by Randy Newman from Toy Story.  The boys have been on a big Toy Story kick lately.

No comments: