Tuesday, March 23, 2021

My FabFitFun Experience

Subscription boxes aren't really my thing.  Or I didn't think they were my thing even though I had never tried one until recently.  I am always aiming to buy intentionally and have less in my house.  I am somewhat resistant to spending money.  The idea of paying a set amount of money for things I might not need or want seemed a little ridiculous.

But I also like getting mail.  I get excited to get packages even when I picked out and paid for them (it is incredibly rare that we get any other kind of package).  Most packages I open excitedly and then remember "oh...this is what I ordered for myself."  I remember a lot of things but what is arriving in packages seems to completely slip my mind once I hit "place order".

FabFitFun (this is not sponsored, they are welcome to send me free boxes!) is one company I've heard of for awhile.  I think they have been a sponsor on the Popcast (back before I started skipping all ads in podcasts, sorry, not sorry as the kids say).  People seemed to like the stuff they got from them.  So when I saw a deal to get a $50 box for $20 I was tempted enough that I placed an order.  Another podcast had also been talking a few days earlier about a magical blanket someone had gotten through their box.  Do we need another blanket?  Absolutely not.  But I was intrigued (spoiler alert: I didn't pick the blanket). 

I knew very little about what came in these boxes before I did this, other than general beauty things.  I made an account and went through all the steps.  Then I got to do some customizing.  I was able to pick among 5-6 items two different times.  So they showed me 5-6 items and I got to pick one (this is when I picked something else over the blanket).  Then showed me 5-6 completely different items and I got to pick one.

This may have happened a third time?  I'm not entirely sure.  I wasn't thinking about blogging about the experience when I was doing it.  

Then they asked me some questions about products I like and what I might use.  Like somewhere I said yes to being interested in jewelry but not earrings since I don't have pierced ears.  I said I wasn't interested in many beauty products since I have been battling so many skin problems on my face for 2 years.  I had finally found a mascara I really like and then had to stop using it because of my skin allergies.  That was a real loss.

I think it was mid-January when I placed my order.


Mid-February my box arrived.  I had checked the tracking more times than I care to admit.  I was very excited.  But not too excited because then I didn't open it for over a week.  There were a few nagging tasks I had been putting off for too long that I told myself I had to get done first.  Then I wanted to open it when I had some time to myself but Sam's precious naps are getting shorter and there is a lot I try to pack into that time (including too much time on my phone but that's a post for another day).

I finally opened it in late February while finishing The Notebook.  

It was really exciting to open a box where I had no idea what was inside but I also didn't have to fake reactions for a gift giver.  There were 8 items.  The booklet that came with it valued my total at $265.00.  I had paid $19.50.  That seems like a great deal!  But would I have ever paid $265 for these 8 items?

No, I wouldn't have.

Here's what I got for my $20:

1) The Lilly Pulitzer mugs are very pretty although more purple in person than showed in the picture.  That is one of the items I picked.  Do we need more mugs?  No, we do not.  But they are pretty even though I don't think I can microwave them (to warm up my water for tea) because of the gold on the handle which adds a step to my tea making.

2) There was a Vera Bradley "compact organizer" which is the other item I picked.  I felt a slight obligation since Very Bradley is from here and I certainly have a few (more than a few) of their items.  I'm not sure what I will use this for and it's in about my least favorite color.  I wish it was more pink because I can't get myself too excited about this purple.

3) There was an eye shadow palette which I hear a lot of people talking about on the internet (not this specific one, just in general) that I will at least try.

4) The one item I have actually used is the hair mask.  I've been using that once or twice a week in the shower and it does make my hair feel very smooth in the shower although I can't say I've noticed a difference once I am out.

5) I was excited about the "daily facial dry brush" because I love some good exfoliating but then my dermatologist told me I shouldn't exfoliate because of my psoriasis soooo...I used that once or twice before she told me that and now it's just sitting by my make-up.

6) There is a dry shampoo powder I should try because I do like NOT washing my hair but I haven't yet.  I have a homemade version I used more when I straightened my hair but I rarely do that now so I haven't used dry shampoo in a few years.

7) I have NO IDEA what the "croc card case is".  I guess to fit in credit or ID cards?  But I have a little (Vera Bradley) change purse I use for that when I am using a smaller purse so I don't need another, although I do like the color.

8) And then liquid eyeliner which I will try but haven't yet.

So there you go, 8 products worth $265 that I spent $20 on and so far, almost a month in, have used one.  

Was it worth $20?

Yes, I don't regret it for $20 and getting to try something new.  Maybe another one of the items will be a hit and then it will be doubly worth it but even if I just keep using the hair mask it was worth $20.  I immediately canceled my subscription (before my box even arrived) because I didn't want to pay $50 for a next one.  I don't need a box of surprise items sent to my house quarterly.  Some of these will probably end up in a donate box within a few months. 

But it was a fun experiment.  I'll try a few new things and maybe something will stick!

No comments: