Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Reading Recap - February 2022

February was a bit of a rough reading month.  I got bogged down by a few books and just didn't get through as many books as I had hoped I would.  Still, a dozen, but not as many as I'd like.  Optimistic March will bring books that work better for me!

 I am on Goodreads here, Instagram here, and linking up with Modern Mrs. Darcy (eventually)!

A few other book posts in the past month:

 {12} STEM(ish) Picture Book Series

 

 Author Love: Kristin Harmel

 {12} Picture Books to Start Spring

 

Now for everything else I've been reading!
 
Happily for Now by Kelly Jones
I read this book because someone said it would be one for Enneagram 2s, which I think I am.  And the first couple chapters I was nodding along like, "yes!  I can relate to this middle schooler so much" but then it didn't hold my interest and I have a hard time quitting books and so I powered through but it was definitely not for me.  Also, middle-grade, which can work for me but in this case...not so much. 2.75 Stars

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
This was a delight to reread because 1) I hadn't read it in ~5 years.  2) I was reading it "with" two of my sisters.  Really, reading it about the same time and we kinda texted about it but it was just so delightful to coordinate something like that together.  And the story was as compelling as I remembered it being!  I remembered the main story beats but forgot many details so it was fun to rediscover them all.  Then Matt & I watched the movie together.  In March I'll read Catching Fire with my sisters and then, hopefully, watch with Matt! 4.5 Stars

The Maid by Nita Prose
This was also a great reading experience, probably largely due to just getting a big block on time on a Sunday to read which usually makes for a good reading experience.  A neurologically different (I have no idea what the correct terms are anymore) woman is a maid at a hotel and finds a dead guy in his room.  The police and hotel management need a suspect and the maid ends up taking the fall.  A bit twisty but uplifting in the end, except for the dead guy, he was still dead.  4 stars

100 Things We've Lost to the Internet by Pamela Paul
I expected this to be a mostly humorous book about all the things we've lost to the internet like paper maps and such.  But it was really just a more depressing look at how life has changed since the internet.  And some things just didn't seem lost to me.  My son is learning cursive at school and he still has a school library, where he checks out actual paper books.  I could relate to parts of it but it still made me sad reading it. 2.5 Stars

Alex and Eliza by Melissa de la Cruz
Basically fan fiction for Alexander Hamilton and his wife, Eliza, but it mostly covered their dislike of each other which all of a sudden turned to love.  There are more in the series but I won't be picking them up.  Not for me.  Although I did learn about vaccinations in Revolutionary War time!  2.75 Stars

The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay
The romance reread I picked to read around Valentine's Day.  I wrote a whole post about this back when I first read and loved it and I've picked it up a few times since.  The romance in this book, even between teenagers (although, rather mature ones who have gone through some things) sucks me in EVERY TIME.  4.5 Stars

Making Numbers Count: How to Translate Data into Stories that Stick by Chip Heath & Karla Starr
I am a numbers person and so this seemed like a great non-fiction read for me.  It showed how to give better examples for various numbers in various situations.  I get it, all of their examples were great and mostly memorable, however, I'm not sure I can do what they did.  I don't know if it wasn't explained well enough or if I just wasn't that interested in figuring it all out.  I did really like their examples though, I picked up so many random facts I have been sharing with Matt.  3 Stars

Weather Girl by Rachel Lynn Solomon
From the author of The Ex-Talk which I enjoyed last year.  However, this was much more open door than I remember that book being.  I did appreciate the behind the scenes at a local tv station and kinda how a news broadcast comes together and the romance was fine.  3 Stars

Finlay Donovan Knocks 'Em Dead by Elle Cosimano
I just read the first in this series last fall and it was nice to not have to wait too long for the second!  Pretty much exactly what I expected.  A woman is kinda contracted to be a hit woman and "take care of" a man.  This book is more of the same.  I couldn't quite keep all the "bad guys" straight and you have to suspend some belief but as fun as a book about murder can be.  3.5 Stars

Messy Minimalism by Rachelle Crawford
I really enjoyed this one, I've read a lot of books about minimalism and it's a nice topic to revisit a few times a year to reenergize myself.  I found her very relatable (although I wouldn't say I'm so messy) and appreciated her less than perfect outloook on minimalizing.  It got me thinking of more things to get rid of and spaces to clean out! 4 Stars

Sunflower Sisters by Martha Hall Kelly
This was a book recommendation from my Mom which was surprising.  It's the final book in the Lilac Girls trilogy, a book I haven't read.  But they start with WWII (I think) and work backwards through America's most famous wars (that's a depressing phrase to write) and so I don't think I missed much by starting with #3.  This takes place during the Civil War, following a enslaved woman in the south, her woman owner (a nasty piece of work), and a woman from the North working as a nurse on some battlefields.  All their paths cross and overlap and it was heartbreaking and devastating reading about the slavery portions and I appreciated learning more about a war that I am, obviously, as an American, familiar with but not one I've nearly as much about as the 20th Century wars.  500 pages so it took awhile to get through but it was good.  3.5 Stars

Read with Luke
Wayside School is Falling Down by Louis Sachar
This is the one book in this series I know I read as a kid but it had been 25 years at least.  He loved all these goofy stories, which were much weirder than I remembered them being!  I'm sure we'll pickup number 3 too.  3 Stars

What have YOU been reading lately?

No comments: