Tuesday, October 17, 2023

3rd quarter 23 in 2023 update

Third quarter was a crazy 3 months of the year.  The death of my MIL, spending 1/3 of July away in the midst of all of that, turning 40, our baby starting school, our oldest doing his first fall sport, and then my husband starting school.  It was giant change after giant change.  I am, honestly, amazed if I got anything done off this list in that time!  EVEN though, halfway through the quarter I became a school day empty nester...those school days aren't as long as they seem!  More caught up on life than I was in July but still not as much as I had expected in the spring, looking at this fall!

I have quite a bit left to get done before Christmas crazy takes over.

Original 23 in 2023 list
1st quarter update
2nd quarter update

Inside Home Things
1) Reorganize bottom of basement stairs (100%)
This was done in 2nd quarter but I finally blogged about it in the 3rd! Such a big improvement!

2) Paint kitchen cabinets (5%)
Well we bought some test paint...2 months ago...

3) Replace kitchen hardware (1%)
We looked at hardware...two months ago.  On that same trip where we bought paint.

4) Simplify fridge & back door (100%)
Well this got done at least!

5) Replace bathroom light (0%)
The latest plan was for Matt just to re-wire the one we have but his spare time right now is zero with school...so I don't know if this will happen.

6) Make flamingo pillow covers (100%)
Second quarter and I was a bit sad to take them off for fall!

7) Do a thorough clean-out of a significant area once a month (75%)
I'm not cleaning quite as much as I had hoped but I'm still making progress!

Outside Home Things
8)
Replace string light timer (100%)
Did in the 1st quarter

9) Make another raised garden bed (100%)
Did in the 2nd quarter and it was so fun to grow pumpkins in them this year.

10) Plant a vegetable that we will eat (100%)
It's good I just specified that we'd eat and not how much of it we would eat.  We planted green beans.  We did two good pickings of them.  Cooked them all the first time, I ate 75% of them.  The second picking sat in a bowl on our counter for a week before they were too dried out and I threw them in the compost...but I did eat SOME.

11) Plant dahlias (100%)
Planted them, none grew!

12) Host 6 cookouts (75%)
We've had 4!  And I AM a bit panicky about getting two more in when the weather is getting iffy!  October went from super hot to cold!

Food
13) Bake with boys once a month (75%)
My intent behind this was to teach them how to cook.  I have baked with them each month but I haven't gotten them to the point where they can make anything new on their own.  Which would be nice.  (How great would it be to have homemade chocolate chip cookies just appear??  With no work by me?)

14) Eat local once a month (75%)
Have easily done this at least once a month. Putting this on these lists has really increased how much we eat from local restaurants, which I appreciate!

15) Farmers market 4 times (25%)
Only once as of September 30th but we have made it again in October.

Fun
16) Go on 10 dates (80%)
Once the boys started school it became iffy on what counted as a date since Matt's still had his day off every week.  So really...it might be more than 8 but I'm counting 8.  Having two dates in a month just seems to luxurious!

17) Finish 7 photobooks (San Antonio, 2023, Sam, Luke, Chicago, Cuyahoa, Cocoa Beach) (57%)
The original plan was 5 photobooks but that just included 1 trip for 2023 and we had 3.  And those three trips are the ones I haven't done of these yet.  Although I am finally sorting through pictures from Cuyahoga...and then still have Cocoa Beach.  I hope to knock those 3 all out once I have the pictures sorted and then order them together. 

18) Read Rose Code by Kate Quinn (10%)
I started this at the very end of September and forgot to see what page I was on at September 30th.  I finished in October and it was fantastic.  Worth the 600+ pages. 

Useful
19) Make packing lists (100%)
I have these done for our 3 most frequent lodgings - deluxe camping cabins, rustic camping cabin, and hotels.  I especially pull out the rustic one when we do those.  But these do help.

20) Systemize keeping quotes from the boys (50%)
I still need to get back onto the site formerly known as Twitter and copy all the times I tweeted about something funny Luke said.  But I think that's all that's left.

21) Art books (40%)
This is DEFINITELY my project once I get photobooks caught up.

22) Recycle sneakers (100%)
Recycled 104 pairs with a school donation in the spring!

23) Project at Luke's School (25%)
I have been working on this but haven't made the progress I would like.  Who else wants to change how schools handle lunches in order to reduce the waste??? 

64%! I was over 50% at June 30th but then with everything that has been happening..I'm happy to have made some progress!  And October was a bit productive so optimistic I'll finish the year with at least a B!

No comments: