Monday, June 2, 2014

Mixed Drinks Monday: raspberry lemonade x2

I had a bit of a theme this week.  Namely, I didn't want to buy much since we were already over our grocery budget for the month.  Also, they were both raspberry lemonade drinks.

Raspberry Lemonade smoothies



Ingredients:
-1 can frozen lemonade concentrate
-approx. 1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
-1 tray of ice
-about 1 can of water

Directions:
Put everything in the blender.  Blend.  Serve.

This was one was pretty easy.  Easy ingredients, easy to throw everything in the blender.   However, I found the taste waaaay too tart.  I added about 2 spoonfuls of sugar to the blender and another 2 to my cup + a generous squeeze of honey to mine (I like honey in smoothies because it doesn't really dissolve which means I get to fish out semi-frozen honey which I find delicious.  It's like a treasure hunt.)  Even with all that I thought it was still tart.  I was only able to finish about 2/3 of mine.  Matt however enjoyed his without any added sugar and might drink what is left of mine in the freezer.  I guess this one comes down to personal preference on lemonade tartness. 


__________________________________________________

My alcholic beverage to try this week was picked because I had all the ingredients.  That is the sole reason.  And I didn't mind any of them too I guess.

Pink Lemonade Cocktail with Raspberry Vodka (modified)
Ingredients:

-pink lemonade (I used powder mix to make 2 quarts)

-a handful of ice cubes per serving
-2-4oz raspberry vodka per serving


I mixed up a pitcher of pink lemonade and then just added the vodka to my glass.  I came up with 4 ounces of vodka per serving based on vodka being half the water content in the original recipe.  This math might be a little off but it was late after a long day.  I mixed mine about half strength because, while there are times appropriate for stronger drinks, drinking alone while finishing a book at 10pm on a Saturday night while your husband works to install a tub in your still torn up bathroom isn't one of those times (or maybe lack of a bath/shower/fully functioning bathroom makes it one of those times).

I thought the taste on this one was pretty good.  It went down easy, reminded me a bit of a blue raspberry flavored something but in a good way.  It didn't taste strong.  And it didn't have vinegar which is a plus over last week. 

Since we have a lot of pink lemonade mix and a decent amount of raspberry vodka I would make this one again sometime but not necessarily something I would run out to buy raspberry vodka for. 
 
Raspberry lemonade smoothie         Pink lemonade cocktail with raspberry vodka (modified)

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Oh your smoothie story reminds me of when Norah and I tried to make raspberry popsicles a couple weeks ago. We used raspberries, greek yogurt, and honey. NOT ENOUGH HONEY. LOL! They were sooo tart but norah still ate them. She does love lemons though, so she's weird. Next time I will use vanilla flavored yogurt I think!

diana said...

Never enough honey! Haha. As long as she likes them though I guess you are good!!