Thursday, June 18, 2015

ICOTW: Nutella Frozen Yogurt

I had my ice cream for last week all picked out, two weeks in advance even (when I did my grocery shopping).  Then a friend pinned this Nutella Frozen Yogurt and it instantly shot up the list.  Partially because I don't want the yogurt I worked so hard for to go to waste.  Partially because it was 90° last week and ice cream sounded really good.  And I had Nutella in the cupboard.  Even though we already had 3 kinds of ice cream, one type of ice cream bar, and two kinds of homemade popsicles in the freezer.

I'm going to blame part of this on the new pain meds I'm on for my foot & knee.  It's supposed to be an alternative for a cortisone shot (which HURT) but it's made me a little loopy.  The doctor said the biggest side effect was feeling like you have a ton of energy and can't sleep.  Instead I have bouts of high energy followed by wanting to sleep.  It's the closest I'll probably ever come to being on real drugs.  Even the pain meds from surgery didn't make me feel this off.

So, while Matt & Luke worked on adding an umbrella hole to our new picnic table, I made ice cream instead of dinner. I think that's pretty much always the right choice.


Nutella Frozen Yogurt
yield: at least 6 servings, we haven't finished it yet!
Ingredients
-2 cups of yogurt
-2/3 cup Nutella
-1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-a pinch of salt
-1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used dark because I like dark chocolate)
-~1/3 cup sugar
-1 cup milk

Directions
1) Combine all ingredients and mix very well.  You don't want lumps!  I should have used my blender but my bout of energy covered making ice cream, not cleaning the blender, so I just whisked it really well for a few minutes.
2) Pour into ice cream maker and churn per instructions. (I haven't read our instructions in FOREVER but apparently I should because I poured the mix into the frozen bowl and then went to get the paddle, lid, and motor.  By the time I got the lid on straight part of the mix had frozen to the sides and bottom of the bowl so it couldn't churn.  I had to pour it all back into the bowl, scrape out the sides, and then get it running before pouring it all back in.  I made a huge mess, and one I can't even blame on Luke.  SO, lesson learned, read instructions.)
3) After recommended churning time (ours is around 30 minutes), either serve if you like soft ice cream or place in freezer safe container for a bit.

My Thoughts
The Nutella/yogurt blend isn't something I've had before and it wasn't quite what I was expecting but it was still delicious.  After I was so excited to make it, it sat in our freezer about 5 days before we finally ate some.  It didn't scoop well, even after sometime on the counter but I was able to chisel away enough for all our bowls.  Luke especially loved it even though he kept calling it "cake" (and calls popsicles both "ice cream" and "popsicles").  This was a good recipe to make since I had all the ingredients (even the right amount of Nutella!) and I can pretend it's healthy because it's frozen yogurt (and we all know Nutella has 0 calories).  I would make it again.



Source: Nutella Frozen Yogurt

_____________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites!

No comments: