Monday, June 22, 2015

Mixed Drink Monday: Skinny Pineapple Smoothie & Strawberry Lime Mojitos

I love days at home.  Like really love them.  Even with physical therapy done (for now at least, you never know with my foot) we still rarely get a full day at home a week.  I aim for Fridays at home but sometimes I have important things to do like decorate for my little sister finally coming home after 5 weeks overseas (she hit 2 continents and at least 6 countries?  It was a lot.).  I realize that was optional but also, I had to make sure she knew which sister missed her the most.  We still made our smoothie and it was disappointing and then packed up for the lake in about an hour rather then my usual all day (how does it take that long??  I really don't know, we go enough that I shouldn't have to think too hard about it).  Here's what we made this past weekend.  Be warned, neither were real winners.  Bummer.

Skinny Pineapple Smoothie
yield: 2 adult sized drinks
Ingredients:
-1 cup frozen pineapple
-1/2 banana
-1/2 cup ice
-1/2 cup yogurt
-1 1/2 cups milk (I used coconut but regular milk would be fine too)

Directions: 
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.

My Thoughts:
I think this is the first one of these in a while (I guess since the coconut-almond milk mess) that I just haven't cared for at all.  It was very frothy which made drinking it with a straw very easy but there just was very little flavor to it, felt like drinking slightly flavored, frothy milk.  Which isn't really what I was looking to do.  Plus, it made a lot more than any other smoothie recipe we've made, I couldn't even fit one batch into our cups (mine above and Luke's smaller one).  I drank about half and then dumped the rest.  I just couldn't take it.  It was a bummer because I usually like pineapple and coconut flavored things!  Luke liked it though but he's not too picky when it comes to these treats.  He drank his right up. And then massively leaked while we were at the library.

Frozen Strawberry Lime Mojito
servings: 2
Ingredients:
-1/2 can frozen limeade
-1/4 rum (I used coconut)
-1 cups frozen strawberries
-1 lime
-mint leaves
-ice cubes (6-8?, up to you)

Directions:
1) Muddle pulp from 1/2 lime each with mint leaves in the bottom of each glass.   Combine all other ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. 

My Thoughts:
This was very very very lime-y.  Very limey.  And I've decided I don't really like mint leaves in my drinks because then I have to try to drink around them.  But the main problem was the over powering lime.  I kept adding ice cubes to my drink hoping to dilute it.  It was still drinkable but I didn't make it the same on  night #2...

Frozen Strawberry Lime Daiquiri?
yield: two larger drinks than above
Ingredients:
-1/2 can frozen limeade
-1/4 rum (obviously could make this stronger if you wanted)
-1 cup frozen strawberries
-at least a whole tray of ice cubes, 14ish?

I realize these pictures look identical.  But they aren't the same drink!
Directions:
Combine everything in a blender.  Blend until smooth.  

My Thoughts:
All the ice made for a larger drink and no overpowering lime flavor.  It was icey-er (obviously, since I added a lot of ice) but much more drinkable.  I would make this again if I have leftover limeade to use up.  It was easy and basic which is really what I'm after most of the time. 

Skinny Pineapple Smoothie
Strawberry Lime Mojito (modified) 

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: