Thursday, July 16, 2015

ICOTW: Coconut Ice Cream


I feel like I am frequently posting about how I meant to do something and then weeks (or months) later it finally happened.  The best of intentions but sometimes life (and laziness) just get in the way.  This ice cream is another of those instances.  Been planning to make it for weeks but things kept coming up and it got pushed back multiple times. 


Coconut Ice Cream
yield: 8 servings
Ingredients
1 cup milk (I used coconut milk but any would do)
1 cup cream of coconut
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 1/2 cups coconut flakes

Directions
1) Blend the milk, cream of coconut and heavy cream in a blender until smooth.  Add the coconut flakes.
2) Churn using your ice cream maker's instructions.  Freeze if needed.

My Thoughts
I feel like I am often surprised by how strong/sweet/rich something is...then I look at the ingredients and feel like "duh!", it contains more than a cup of cream AND cream of coconut (which is pretty sweet and heavy too).  No wonder it's so rich.  I ate what is pictured above but barely.  I would definitely recommend smaller servings because this is very rich.  And might have a few calories but anyone eating halfway decent ice cream knows to expect that, right?  It was good, very strong coconut flavor but not overwhelmingly so or in a bad way.  You obviously don't make coconut ice cream if you dislike coconut to begin with (like my husband, which might be why I will slowly eat all this myself). I added some homemade chocolate sauce but it wasn't necessary.  I think I will enjoy eating this over the rest of July.

Source: slightly modified from AllRecipes

_____________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 

No comments: