Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Homemade Bookends (mostly, and porch things)


Every month I aim to do one sewing project, one crafty project, and paint inside at least one kitchen cupboard.  This might be the easiest craft project I've done all year.  And it was less than $5. 

I've been working on adding a little more "homeyness" to our porch over this spring and summer.  Luke and I spend a lot of time out there on the days too chilly or wet to go outside and I read out there at least a little every single day we are home.  That's where you'll find me most days around 1:30 (nap time, after I eat lunch).  It was an unexpected bonus to our house that I now can't imagine living without. 


First was spray painting a lamp I received from my in-laws for my birthday last year (they gave it to me with the intention of painting it).  I would prefer a slightly smaller shade but this one was free from our garage sale pile making this whole lamp cost just the spray paint, around $4.  And that was the most expensive part of this little update.



I've seen similar bookends many places around the internet; they are super-duper easy.  I bought the rhinos from a dollar bin at Kroger and Matt cut me blocks of wood from his scraps.  The rhinos are about 5 1/2" long and my blocks 5"x 1 3/4" by 1 1/2".  I spray painted both parts with leftover spray paint from other projects and hot glued the rhinos to the blocks once everything was dry.  That was it.  Total on hand time: 15 minutes?  It took me longer to hunt down the stupid rhinos than it did to do all the painting and gluing.  Total cost for these, including the portion of spray paint I may have used, is under $5. 

And then of course I covered more books with mostly scrap or cheap fabric.  I don't know if it comes from my love of reading but covering books is one of my favorite crafts I've ever done.  I have them in 4 rooms in our house and would do more if I could figure out how to fit them in (actually, Luke's room might be getting some next). 


Total spent on all my little porch updates is under $15 and I think they've added a nice touch of home to a formerly less-cozy space.  Now if I could just finish getting the Little Tikes out of there and maybe less than 3 strollers...that would be ideal. 

Source: Hello Sugarplum (one of many places I've seen it)

No comments: