Monday, August 17, 2015

Mixed Drink Monday: Blackberry Rum Fizz

This is one of my favorite kind of drinks to make because it doesn't require any fresh ingredients or anything with an immediate spoil date.  You could just as easily make this in the dead of winter as I did in August and the results would be exactly the same, besides the green lawn.  I make about half of these new mixed drinks at the lake and I really appreciate the ones I can mostly prep at home and just mix there.  And I really really appreciate those that don't require a mixer.  I do a lot of mixer cleaning and I appreciate any breaks I get.


Blackberry Rum Fizz
yield: makes enough blackberry syrup for about 8 drinks

Ingredients
 Blackberry Syrup
-6 ounces blackberries (fresh or frozen)
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/2 cup water

Drink
-2 ounces (1/4 cup) rum
-6 ounces (3/4 cup) sparkling water
-2 TB blackberry syrup

Directions
1) Combine the blackberry, water, and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat for about 30 minutes.  Stir about every 5 minutes, crushing the blackberries with a spoon.  Let cool and then strain through a fine mesh strainer.  Discard seeds and such.  Refrigerate the syrup until ready to use.

2) To make the drink, stir together the rum, sparkling water, and 2 TB of the blackberry syrup in a glass.  Add ice if needed.  Enjoy!

My Thoughts
I make a lot of drinks and they can start to blend together but this is one of my favorites of this summer if not my absolute favorite.  It was super easy to make ahead of time and then mix up later (makes for an ideal party drink) and I have enough leftover syrup for more.  I drank this two days in a row and thoroughly enjoyed each one.  I don't know that I've ever had a blackberry flavored drink before, besides my sun tea, and so having one was a welcome change.  I will make this again, and not just because I have to to use up the syrup, but because I really honestly enjoyed it.  Plus that color is just gorgeous!!


Source: Design Love Fest

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: