Monday, August 31, 2015

Mixed Drink Monday: Berry Oat Smoothie

I love blueberries, mainly fresh.  My sister used to say they should weigh me before and after our blueberry pickings so we could be charged the difference.  I'd snack a lot.  It's hard to beat fresh blueberries straight from the bush.  De-licious (as Luke would say).


I am not always a huge fan of blueberry flavored things though. Blueberry crisp? Yes.  Muffins?  Yes.  Ice cream? No.  Candy? No.  They don't even make much of an appearance in my smoothies until this week.  And you know what, it was good.


Berry Oat Breakfast Smoothie
yield: 2 adult-sized drinks (I made a few popsicles with our leftovers)
Ingredients
-1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
-1 - 1 1/2 cup milk (we used coconut milk)
-3/4 cup frozen berries (we used raspberries and blueberries)
-1/4 cup yogurt
-ice
-generous squirt of honey

Directions
Put everything in a blender and blend.

My Thoughts
This is one of the better oatmeal smoothies we've had.  The berries gave it plenty of taste and the oats added some substance.  I added a little more coconut milk to get a runnier consistency (better for straw drinking with Luke).  He declared it a good treat and kept asking for more of mine.  This would be easy enough to recreate since we usually have all those things on hand.  Not spectacular but not bad.

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: