Wednesday, September 14, 2016

ICOTW: Peach Champagne Sorbet

Champagne feels like an appropriate way to finish off these posts for another summer (and it still is summer according to the calendar!  Even if to nobody else!).  I started this project for Summer 2015 with the intent of trying some new things and cleaning off my Pinterest board.  Now I'd say I'm pretty comfortable with making homemade ice cream and have posted 26 recipes to show it.  Our freezer almost constantly had at least 2 homemade flavors at any given time over the summer and we enjoyed so many bowls and cones together (nightly ice cream might be part of the reason I don't have the 6-pack abs Jillian Michaels says I should have by the time I finished level 3...).   I thought it might be a one and done summer kind of plan but now it's become such a part of our summer that I definitely plan to continue over the summers indefinitely (although I'll have to find some recipes because I've now made all of them on my Pinterest board).

Just like I can occasionally stress myself out about figuring out and making my weekly drinks, this certainly caused a little bit of stress here and there but isn't ice cream stress about the best kind?  Even if it was a pain to make some weeks at least I was always left with delicious ice cream at the end and how can that ever be a bad thing?

And oh man, this sorbet was very little stress, little work, and is so delicious.  It's the creamiest sorbet I've made and the champagne (really sparkling wine) gives it such a nice little pop.  It's great for those days when you want a drink at the end of the day but also don't want a drink just because...weekday hangovers (maybe I just buy too cheap of wine?) and calories and effort...I mean this takes a little bit of effort but definitely one of the easier ones I've made this summer.  Definitely delicious and worth making, again and again.  AND, I have a very good reason for not sharing this one with Luke.  (Although he's requested caramel ice cream so I guess that's happening again soon!)


Peach Champagne Sorbet 
yield: about ½ quart
Ingredients
-1 pound fresh peaches, peeled and pitted
-2 TB lime juice
-¾ cup sugar
-1/3 cup light corn syrup
-¾ cup champagne or sparkling wine

Directions
Put the peeled/pitted peaches in the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth.

Combine the pureed peaches, lime juice, sugar, and corn syrup in a large saucepan set over low heat.  Stir constantly until the sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.  Stir in the champagne and place in fridge until cooled, at least 30 minutes (or put in an ice bath and detailed here).

Once chilled, pour into the base of an ice cream machine and churn per it's instructions (mine is about 25 minutes).  When done, scoop into a freezer safe container and lay a piece of parchment paper directly on top of the sorbet.  Freeze until solid, at least 4 hours, before serving.

Source: slightly modified from: A Brown Table

___________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites!

No comments: