Monday, July 17, 2017

Mixed Drink Monday: Mimosa Sangria


Two of the easiest drinks to make are mimosas and sangria.  Both pretty much involve throwing a bunch of things together, no blender to clean, maybe a little bit of fruit to chop.  So why not combine them?  I haven't had the best luck with sangrias in the past (this one was SO STRONG) but I've determined that might just be the cheap wine I normally buy?  Maybe I need to step it up a few bucks to get something that won't give me an instant headache and put me to sleep (although, I may have still fallen asleep during a movie after drinking this...some things just can't be helped...it was also 11pm.)


The beauty of this drink is that you can throw it all in a pitcher and let it sit until you are ready to serve and enjoy.  It takes just a few minutes and then you have a whole bunch of drinks ready for you!  I love the ease of this kind of drink.  Plus, it just looks so summery with all the fruit and pretty color, tastes summery and pretty light (thanks, champagne, for the bubbles).  I enjoyed this pitcher throughout a day at the lake, with a book in the afternoon, while watching a movie with Matt at night.

I admittedly made a half batch of this to try to get a few more kinds of drinks out of my bottle of champagne (what can I say, I'm frugal) but that still lasted me for most of a day which was plenty.  I really didn't need to drink a whole bottle of champagne over the course of a weekend (I went with a partial bottle, Matt shared some, and we came home with a little bit, so even my multiple drinks didn't use it all).

This would be perfect for a spring or summer brunch, bridal shower, or just yourself (raises hand).  It's light, summery, easy to drink, and delicious.  What more could you want?


Note: I said I only made a half batch but below are instructions for a full.  Obviously cut in half if you want less.

Mimosa Sangria
yield: 8-10 servings
Ingredients
-3 cups OJ
-½ cup Triple Sec
-2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries (frozen doubles as ice!)
-1 cup diced fresh or frozen pineapple (see above!)
-1 750ml bottle of champagne, chilled
-optional pineapple wedge or strawberries for garnish
-optional ice if using fresh fruit

Directions
Combine OJ, Triple Sec, and fruits together in a large pitcher.   Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.  Just before serving, stir in the bottle of champagne (and ice if needed).  Cheers!


Source: modified from Gimme Some Oven

 __________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!  

No comments: