Monday, August 21, 2017

Mixed Drink Monday: Frozen Coconut Mojito

If you've been following my drink posts this summer you know I've been on a bit of a coconut kick.  (exhibits one, two, three).  It's just so perfectly summery and will always be one of my favorites for the this lovely time of year.  If I come across a coconut recipe pin on Pinterest, chances are I'm going to make it.

I've been growing mint for a few years, originally, mainly, for mojitos but I've also made mint extract with it for baking.  Really, the only two things I've ever done with it.  It's super easy to grow but here's what nobody told me when I first planted it: it will grow everywhere.  I planted it in our garden where it lived for a season and then by the next spring it was trying to take over the whole thing.  So I dug it up, moved a bit to a pot, and composted the rest.  I mean, I only need so much mint and a whole garden's worth it definitely too much!  And the bit in the pot has been living happily for a couple of years and there is still room in the garden for tomatoes...that's pretty much it.

I suggested just planting a bunch of berry bushes because we were never really getting around to harvesting and using the vegetables we had been planting.  (Carrots, cucumbers, after making some pickles, we didn't do much with the rest.)  But then Matt decided he wanted to try growing pumpkins this year (solely for carving and decoration, we don't eat them) and then watermelon next year (which Matt and Luke both LOVE but I don't eat).  After those experiments (that I'm not sure we have the space for in our garden but the seeds were cheap so not a big deal) maybe I'll get all my berry bushes.

I feel super industrious when I harvest something I grew (even picking a handful of blueberries at a time!) and using this mint was no exception.  I've made a few mojitos before but never cared much for the mint leaves lingering in my glass.  This version uses the mint to make a simple syrup and then discarding the leaves which gives you plenty of mint taste without leaves ending up in your mouth which is pretty ideal for me.  And it's super easy.

This tasted pretty fresh and summery with mint and coconut (and rum) but I would recommend drinking pretty soon after making.  I had made two drinks but didn't drink the second until the next day and by that point it was just coconut rum mint milk which maybe isn't what I was going for here?  I definitely preferred the frozen consistency.  (But I also drank the melted version so there is that.)

If you grow some mint and need something to do with it, here's a (small) solution!


Note: my constant reminder that 2TB = 1 ounce!

Frozen Coconut Mojito
yield: 2 servings
Ingredients
Mint Simple Syrup
-¼ cup sugar
-½ cup water
~¼ cup mint leaves

Mojito
-3 ounces coconut rum
-1 cup coconut milk (the refrigerated kind)
-juice of two limes
-1 cup of ice (or more)
optional garnishes: toasted coconut and mint leaves

Directions
Mint Simple Syrup: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar, water, and mint leaves.  Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and let cook for 10 minutes.  Let cool briefly and then strain out the mint leave and refridgerate until ready to use.

Mojito: Combine the mint simple syrup, rum, coconut milk, lime juice, and ice in a blender and blend until your desired consistency.  Serve immediately!

Source: slightly modified from With Salt and Wit


____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!   

No comments: