Monday, May 31, 2021

Mixed Drink Monday: Blueberry Margarita


It's that time of year again!  Summer and making a whole lot of mixed drinks!  Will I do a whole streak of all the margarita flavors I have yet to try?  Maybe. (I don't know, I don't have these super planned out.)   Will I make a drink super strong and then make everything after it super weak for the rest of the summer?  Probably.  Will I mix up grenadine and vinegar again?  Hopefully not!

I had intended to start off with a kiwi margarita because, thanks to making a green fruit salad on St. Patrick's Day, the boys have gotten into kiwi.  Then I read, as I was about to make the recipe, that it was recommended to let the kiwi sit on the counter for a few days to ripen.  I wanted the drink now, I didn't have a few days.  So some quick pivoting and inventorying of our freezer and this is the one I had everything on hand for!  So blueberry margarita it was!

Now, good, fresh, blueberries are one of my very favorite foods and I eat A LOT of them in the summer.  However, I am usually not a fan of blueberry flavored things.  I like things like blueberry muffins and Blueberry Morning cereal but I don't need blueberry candy canes (or any candy canes) or blueberry candy or whatever else might exist.  I was rather leery making this one, not knowing how it would turn out (a fair risk for all these drinks I make).  BUT, I liked the idea of lime and blueberry and it was the end of our last full week of school and a beautiful evening for sitting in the backyard so blueberry margarita time it finally was.

It turns out, blueberry margaritas are a delicious way to consume blueberries!  It will never top my favorite, fresh blueberries, but it was still delicious!  It may have helped that the blueberry flavor was a bit weaker since I used frozen blueberries.  I'm sure making it with fresh, perfectly ripe and recently picked blueberries would have given it a stronger taste.  But, sometimes I want to make a new recipe to satisfy the blog rules I have set for myself so blueberry margarita with frozen (likely freezer burnt) blueberries it was.

Will I make this again?  Sure!  I would.  I tend to go a bit lazier when not making something for the blog but it was good and I appreciated having something new and blue to try!  

One year ago: Homemade Honey Margarita
Two years ago: Sweet Tea Margarita
Three years ago:
Blackberry Margarita

Four years ago:
Basic Margarita

Six years ago
: Friday Smoothie & Frozen Coconut Limeade

Seven years ago:
Blackberry Sun Tea & Sex on the Beach

 

Blueberry Margarita

yield: 1 drink (I doubled to make 2)
Ingredients
-1 cup of frozen blueberries
-1 ounce (2 TB) lime juice
-2 ounce (4 TB or ¼ cup) tequila
-1 ounce (2 TB) triple sec
-ice
-salt for rim (optional)
-lime wedge (optional)
 
Directions
Combine frozen blueberries, lime juice, tequila, triple sec, and ice in a blender and blend until the blueberries are pretty smooth.  

Run a lime wedge around the top of your glass and then dip in salt (a wet napkin or paper towel works to wet the rim in a pinch).  Pour the margarita from the blender into the prepared glass.

Enjoy!


Source: Slightly modified from Hello Fresh ____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!  

No comments: