Monday, June 21, 2021

Mixed Drink Monday: Frozen Pineapple Margarita

If you are wondering, I have decided to go ALL IN on margaritas this month.  We have this one today and one more next week.  Then July I switch to weekly ice cream posts with maybe a few non-margaritas thrown in.  August will be for whatever is left!  I can't say I'm sad about all the margaritas I've been drinking (although when we were on vacation I bought some hard cider that was delicious and much easier than margaritas, but margaritas still hold a special summer place in my stomach).

These are frozen pineapple margaritas, where I went all in and bought a real pineapple and then I was so stressed out with vacation prep that Matt ended up cutting it.  Pineapple cutting can be done in under 10 minutes.  I don't know why I dread it so much.  Same for grape picking off of stems but the kids will help with that one.  Anyways, bought a pineapple, Matt chopped it up.  I put it in the freezer on a silicone mat lined cookie sheet.  Once it was frozen I moved all the pieces to a gallon ziploc.  Then we left for a week.

It was Sunday night after we got home.  We got home at 3:40am on Saturday (that story, basically just a really long drive and a lot of traffic, will be coming on the blog later this summer (along with maybe our Michigan trip from 2 years ago that I kept saying I'm going to write about but still haven't.)).  Kids don't really let you sleep in (although we managed until 10:30!).  Saturday evening we were still exhausted and dehydrated from the drive (gotta watch those drinks to cut the bathroom stops!).  We didn't have any desire for alcohol.  JUST SLEEP.

Sunday night about 6pm I realized I still had a lot of things I wanted to get done (story of my LIFE) and instead of pack Luke's lunch for VBS, water the outside flowers & garden, do dishes, or any of a multitude of things that needed done...I made margaritas.  We had another busy weekend on the horizon with no chance for margarita making and I wanted to get this post done...so I stayed up waaaaay too late drinking a margarita the night before my first 5:34am alarm in 10 days.  

Vacation brain always leads to wise choices.

However, it was a delicious margarita, helped by the fresh pineapple and mostly fresh limes (I always throw some bottled stuff in too, I just don't buy enough limes to freshly squeeze all I need!).  Icy and fruity and refreshing.  A perfect summer drink, but maybe not 6 hours before you need to wake up.  I wouldn't recommend making these with vacation brain, but about any other time would do!

One year ago: Pineapple Sunset Cocktail
Two years ago: Red, White, & Blue Margaritas

Three years ago: Jamaican Rum Punch

Four years ago: Pineapple Rum Punch
Five years ago: Honey Peach Lemonade
Six years ago: Skinny Pineapple Smoothie & Strawberry Lime Mojitos
Seven years ago: Drinks x's 3

Frozen Pineapple Margarita
yield: 2 drinks

Ingredients
-½ cup frozen pineapple chunks
-3 oz (6 TB) orange juice
-2 oz (4 TB) lime juice
-6 oz (12 TB or ¾ cup) tequila
-1 cup ice
-coarse salt for rimming
-lime wedges (optional)

Directions
Rimming (optional): Slice two discs from the middle of a lime or two and set aside for the garnish.  Juice the limes and then run one of the halves around the top of each of the glasses before dipping in coarse salt.

Combine the pineapple chunks, OJ, lime juice, tequila, and ice in a blender and blend until fairly smooth.  Pour into prepared glasses.

Enjoy!

Source: barely modified from The Real Food Dietitians
____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!  

No comments: