Thursday, November 3, 2022

Looking Back at October 2022

October!  This felt like a very long month, in a good way.  There was also a lot going on, I stress cried more than once, and we went to Texas.  This month contained many things!  The biggest accomplishment might have been surviving Halloween, a holiday that I thought I was coming around on but then we had to get through trick or treating ON A MONDAY and I am back to hating it.  Maybe I like most things about Halloween other than the actual celebrating of it?  Because the anticipatory sugar energy and the consumed sugar energy and the hungover sugar energy is all A LOT.  AND ON A MONDAY.  But, happier days, meaning Thanksgiving & Christmas, are ahead and Halloween is behind us for another 360 days.

Looking back:
1 year ago: {9} Pumpkin Picture Books (read these all again this year!)
2 years ago: Basic Buttery Biscuits (I'm going to eat one of these in about 3 minutes)
3 years ago: Creating a Reading Culture at Home (I've read 1700+ books to the boys in 10 months this year...we're pretty successful at this reading culture)
4 years ago: Flying with a Baby - The Nitty Gritty (recently flew with a 4½ year old...less gear and no diapers or formula...but also a kid who can run.  I have THOUGHTS on which was easier.)
5 years ago: {6} Christmas Things to Think About Now (I've worked on all of these already!)
6 years ago: Sewing Clutch Time (I still use these!)
7 years ago: DIY Coconut Oil Face Scrub (I STILL use this daily)
8 years ago:
My Current Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies (still my favorite, baking some today!)
9 years ago: A New Bench for a Simpler Look (still basically the same, 9 years later!)
10 years ago:
Embrace the Conflict (this still applies today)
11 years ago:
Miami! (Been thinking about this trip a lot lately!)
12 years ago:
NYC! (This remains among my favorite of our trips)

1) The sunlight was GORGEOUS when we finished our 10k at the beginning of the month.  Chilliest run I've had there but we still had a good (for us) pace!
2) Kicked off October also with getting our pumpkins!  Only 3 rotted (we bought at least a dozen) before Halloween although we never got to carving them...
3) My Office Ladies Halloween mug is one of my favorites and I only get to use it in October.  Delighted to pull it out again! (And since put back away)
4) Picking flowers still in October (and even in November!).  I love the zinnias.
5) Doing a fall bike ride downtown to checkout the leaves!
6) Fall color was AMAZING (still is but not quite what it was a few weeks ago) and seemed to last a long time!
7) Hiking in Franke Park, we do this every year!
8) My yeast baking for October was making Matt baguettes for his birthday.  Not my prettiest work but Matt & the boys still devoured these. Baguettes take some time but I'd still rather do this for him than buy a watermelon.
9) Pretty snake at the zoo!  We managed two trips there in October and now they are closed until spring.  We loved seeing all their fall decor with painted pumpkins and such!
10) Double godchild outing day at Science Central, where they have the most gorgeous light from those huge windows.  I took my goddaughter and a cousin buddy and Matt took Luke with one of our godsons!  Knocked two out at once.
11) My FAVORITE fall tree which was amazing, once again.  We drove/walked/biked/ran past many times when it was at it's peak!
12) SNOW!  We had snow in mid-October, it started in the evening and even stuck around on the grass until morning!  The boys were DELIGHTED to play in it and I was amazed it didn't kill all our flowers!
13) The Lego Discovery Center in San Antonio.  This was made out of Legos and we tried so many times to have Sam take a picture with it since he exclusively calls fall "fall y'all".  He never cooperated.
14) The Alamo!  I am still a bit amazed that it's in the middle of town, just a few blocks from the River Walk.  We accidentally walked past it one night!  Also, it took me THREE tries to get this picture with only a ranger in it!
15) The San Antonio River Walk which was so fun.  We walked along it all 4 of our days there (not including the day we arrived at our hotel at midnight) and it was so fun.  Ate right beside the river twice too!
16) This was taken October 28th.  It is the LATEST, by far, I've ever had blue morning glories still blooming AND they are going CRAZY.  There are so many.  It's a delight in my life right now. 

Books finished: 19!!  A good reading month.
Miles ran:
33.35!  More than I expected!
Currently watching:
We're not in the middle of anything!  Just finished Halloween episodes AND Stranger Things.  I don't know what we're starting before we pickup Thanksgiving episodes!
Most read post this month: September Reading Recap
Luke's current favorite song:
"All Star" by Smash Mouth, he sings it CONSTANTLY and I am amazed at how many of the lyrics have stuck in my head for 2 decades.
Sam's current favorite song: "Tribute" (the clean version is all they've heard) by Tenacious D

November brings lots of Christmas prep, Thanksgiving, one of the best weekends of the year, and decorating for Christmas!  And our first full month at home since May!

No comments: