Thursday, December 28, 2023

Looking Back at December 2023

It's the end of December!  This month was a WHIRLWIND.  Besides prepping for Christmas, work I almost completely and entirely love, there was just a lot going on!  The boys were in school 15 days this month and I was at school around 10 of those days, for SOMETHING.  I did my first real room mom duty for kindergarten and organized the Christmas party.  Matt & I did some painting with 5th grade for an auction class project.  Helped in the lunchroom, helped in the little Christmas shop they set up, attended a kindergarten Christmas program, etc.  December was BUSY.  Just busy.  And we even had a decent head start on our shopping by November 30th!  Already thinking of how we can make it a bit easier next year!  Plus, Matt had finals in there.  So that was a fun stress addition to the household.

But Christmas has been wonderful and with his modified for school work schedule, Matt has more time off with the boys than any other Christmas break ever.  So that's going be just so wonderful just to spend time all together before we're back to the grind of school, wrestling, and more school in January.  

Looking back:
1 year ago: {10} Item Christmas Gift List
2 years ago: Christmas Season Decide Once
3 years ago: Christmas Media to Consume
4 years ago: Cran-Apple Sangria
5 years ago: Book Love: I'll Be There for You: The One About Friends by Kelsey Miller
6 years ago: {12} Christmas Hacks (of sorts)
7 years ago: Christmas at Grandma's
8 years ago:
Adorable Wooden Christmas Trees (I still set these all out every year! Beginning of an obsession)
9 years ago: Christmas Treats: Crockpot Cinnamon Sugar Almonds
10 years ago:
Christmas Treats: Raspberry Coconut Layer Bars (these are Matt's second favorite of all the treats I make, after classic frosted sugar cookies)
11 years ago: Things I Like (I still own #s 1-3!)

1) Decorating the tree...I found two different packs of ornaments in my favorite blue!
2) Seeing the Nutcracker for the first time in 20 years.  Sam went with me and declared it "boring".  Oh well.
3) Our final fish has died so I finally understand the grief of pet loss (...I was not attached to those fish.)
4) We took multiple detour downtown to see Santa and the wreath this month!
5) Warm enough to read on the porch in December! 
6) Cutting out cookies with Sam, he stayed and helped through them all!
7) I found donuts when leaving work one day.  I am ALWAYS delighted by surprise donuts.
8) Sam & I made these little guys (from a kit) while Matt & Luke were at wrestling practice. 
9) Snowmen, I decorated these after the rest of my family had given up...
10) About the most snow we had all month (this is on the recycle bin...)
11) Driving through the Fantasy of Lights, at the park we hike through every October!
12) Our December date!  Yes, more Santa sightings.
13) And back downtown later that same day to walk around the lights with the boys.
14) Matt took the boys shopping.  On December 22nd.  Which gave me about 4 silent hours at home alone! (Even with boys in school...that quiet time home alone didn't happen much this month.)
15) Reading in front of the tree with my tea.  Also rarely happened.
16) Christmas evening at home finishing The Best Christmas Pageant Ever with the boys while they colored.  A rare moment of bliss. 

Books finished: as of this writing, 19, but I'm hoping to make it to 24 by the 31st...I have 4 days...
Miles ran:
0.00.  Taking the winter off, per usual.  May get in a couple miles if we get decent weather on a day that works with my hair washing!
Currently watching:
Matt and I are still working on It's Always Sunny but will likely finish that over Christmas break and I'm not sure what's next!
Most read post this month: NYC #4 - days 1 & 2, Mixed Drink Monday: Cran-Apple Sangria (always gets more hits in December), and Kool-Aid Cookies
Luke's current favorite (Christmas) song:
"It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year" by Andy Williams
Sam's current favorite (Christmas) song: "It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" by Andy Williams

In denial that January is just a few days away.  I AM NOT ready to say goodbye to Christmas!  And not ready to dive back into the crazy schedules! Soaking up these quiet days while we have them!

No comments: