Monday, June 25, 2018

Mixed Drink Monday: Blackberry Crush


If you've been following along on my drink and ice cream posts you may have noticed how often blackberries have been popping up.  There is one good reason for that.  They were on sale.  And when something is on sale I start searching for a whole bunch of things to make with it (also why we ended up with 2 kinds of strawberry ice cream and strawberry pancakes in the 3 days after we picked them).

Also, I think of all the fruits, berries are my favorite.  Obviously blueberries for number one, and not just because of the color.  But when thinking of my other favorite fruits I realized they are mostly berries.  Strawberry, raspberry, blackberries.  But fresh pineapple is pretty good too.  And I LOVE a good Macintosh apple.  Melon are definitely the worst, I like ZERO of them.  I would eat watermelon if I was dying of thirst in a desert but it's basically flavored water and I'd rather just have water. 

I keep telling my husband that the most loving thing I do for him is buy him a watermelon.  Not that I don't buy foods I don't like.  I will, even ketchup (which is the worst).  But finding room in the cart for a watermelon (especially with a baby carrier) and then hauling it in from the car which necessitates it's own trip when I'm already making a bunch more...then making space in the fridge...it is the most loving thing I can do for him.  Also, I have NO idea what constitutes a good watermelon so I usually just leave the watermelon buying up to him. 

But, back to blackberries.  They were on sale, I bought a bunch.  Made this delightful drink.  It really was good.  It also had a simple ingredient list which is important when packing for the lake.  And was easy to make which is important for my sanity and the likelihood of me making it.  Hardest part might have been keeping my 5 year old out of the berries until I got these pictures.  He has a tendency to eat a whole pack when I'm not looking/occupied with a baby. 

I would definitely make this one again, provided blackberries are on sale!


One year ago: Coconut Pineapple Margarita
Two years ago:
Triple Berry Sangria
Three years ago:
Skinny Pineapple Smoothie & Strawberry Lime Mojitos
Four years ago: Strawberry Lemonade Slushie



Blackberry Crush
yield: one drink
Ingredients
-4 blackberries
-1 TB lemon juice
-1 TB simple syrup
-3 TB (1½ oz) raspberry vodka
-soda water/sprite/ginger ale
-ice

Directions
Combine 4 blackberries, lemon juice, and simple syrup in a glass.  Crush lightly with a spoon.  Fill glass with ice and add vodka.  Give it a stir.  Top with soda water/ginger ale/sprite.  Enjoy!



Source: slightly modified from Mama Gourmand

__________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page

No comments: