Wednesday, July 31, 2019

ICOTW: Summer Fruit Crisp Ice Cream Bars


I enjoy making ice cream; something I never thought I would be saying a couple years ago.  For a long time the one homemade ice cream recipe I had involved a can of sweetened condensed milk and a box of pudding mix (and some milk, I believe).  Now, I don't even know how many kinds of homemade ice cream and sorbet are in our freezer along with some popsicles.  It's a little ridiculous how full the freezer is and how much ice cream we have to eat (this is not a problem, although it might take well into fall).  Ice cream is one of the things I feel most competent at in the kitchen - along with mixed drinks and general dessert making.  (Would it be nice if I was more interested in making actual meals for my family instead of just the unnecessary treats?  Yes.  That would help almost every day of the week.)  But I really do enjoy making a good batch of ice cream.

However, I know not everyone shares these feelings.

So, this is another recipe for an ice cream treat you CAN use homemade ice cream for, but you can also just buy some at the store and still end up with something pretty close to what I have here.  (Although if you are in possession of an ice cream machine you should at least try using it sometime).

This is a fairly straightforward and simple recipe.  As soon as I saw it in a magazine I knew I was going to make it since fruit crisps were one of my specialties as a kid (meaning, I'd offer to help my Mom make supper but really just mean I was going to make a dessert which at least 50% of the time would be blueberry crisp, using the same fantastic recipe I still use multiple times a year as an adult).

You mix up a simple crisp recipe, bake it, stir it.  Let it cool.  Add strawberries to the ice cream.  Layer all that, freeze, and the next day you have a delicious dessert.  I wrapped them in parchment paper for the picture but it's really much easier not to do that.  Just cut a slice and send your kids outside to eat them (adults can probably be trusted indoors but they are crumbly).  I loved the texture of the crisp along with the creamy ice cream.  It was a fantastic mix of tastes.  These were so easy to make I might try blueberry next (somehow I've never made blueberry ice cream!). 

I used this Creamy Strawberry Ice Cream for mine but a quart of store bought would work just as well.  I did not remember this turning out so Pepto-Bismal pink last time but it is kinda fun, as long as the color doesn't remind you of stomach problems (I guarantee none of the guys in my house will have trouble eating any of this.)

Note: I've written the directions for store bought ice cream.  For homemade ice cream I made according to the instructions and then added the 1 cup of chopped strawberries to the freezer container after churning, sprinkling them around.  
 

One year ago: Coconut Pineapple Sorbet
Two years ago: Blackberry Sweet Cream Ice Cream (one of my favorites from this project!)
Three years ago: Raspberry Pineapple Sorbet
Four years ago: Super Simple Strawberry Popsicles 
Strawberry Crisp Ice Cream Bars
yield: depending how you cut, I'd give it 12 servings
Ingredients
-2 cups flour
-¾ cup rolled oats
-¼ cup packed brown sugar
-¼ tsp salt
-½ cup (1 stick) of butter
-1 quart strawberry ice cream
-1 cup chopped fresh strawberries (washed and hulled)

Directions
1) Preheat the over to 400°.  Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, and salt in a medium bowl.  Cut in the butter until it resembles corse sand.  Pat lightly into an 8 inch square baking dish and bake for 15 minutes.  Remove from the oven when lightly brown and stir to crumble.  Let it cool.

2) Remove the ice cream from the freezer about 15 minutes before ready to assemble so it can soften.  Remove half the crumbs and pat the remaining ones into a loose crust.  Stir the chopped strawberries into the softened ice cream and then spread over the crust in the pan.  Top with the remaining crumbs.  Cover the dish and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.  You will probably need to let this sit at room temp for about 10 minutes before cutting and serving.



source: modified from Better Homes and Garden
__________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 

No comments: