Thursday, January 9, 2020

2020: Early

For many years now I've picked a word for the year which I think about quite a bit in January and then...less so after that.  What else does January have going on?  Nothing much.  So it's a good time to refocus, buckle down on routine after Christmas indulgences, and set the tone for the year.  My past words have been Discipline (2019), Simplifying (2018), Grace (2017), Living Intentionally (2016), and Curating (2015).

I really liked Discipline last year and kinda wanted to pick it again because it feels like something I still need to work on.  Reading back at my post a year ago, where I talked about how it could be 45 minutes between deciding to head to bed and then actually get to bed...well I've certainly improved there.  I did get a lot more disciplined about packing Luke's lunch while we were already in the kitchen making or cleaning up supper, about being ready for bed (teeth brushed, face washed) before turning on the TV with Matt so when we turned it off it was much quicker to head up.  I feel I've improved on switching between tasks better, namely, staying off my phone and just going to the next thing.  Obviously, not perfect but I can see an improvement!

We got quite a few nagging tasks checked off, not all of them (where would the fun be in not having ANY to-dos??) but quite a few.  I am always most motivated to tackle these in January and February so hopefully I can knock out a few more in the next couple months.

However, we didn't do so great at the getting up on time part, which I am going to blame, again, on all of Sam's sleep problems over the past 6 months.  It's REALLY hard to get up on time when I've gotten about 5 hours of sleep, especially in 3 of the last 5 nights.  His sleeping problems have made morning consistency hard (although Luke is holding strong at ZERO tardies after approximately 270 days of school!).  So, getting Sam's sleep problems resolved would really help, something we did work on over break.

So, as much as I felt Discipline could apply again this year, I made myself pick a new one.  And when thinking about the worst pain points in my day I kept coming back to rushing - rushing to get around before the boys were up, rushing to get Luke out the door to school, rushing to get to pick-up to get him.  Really, school runs can be blamed for a lot of the rushing but school isn't going anywhere and I need to make peace with leaving my house at least twice a day in the cold of winter.

I didn't want to make "no more rushing" my word for the year so I chose "Early".  I want to get up earlier (on time), have time for a workout and a non-rushed shower and be mostly around before the boys are up.  That would really help our mornings and getting out the door on time. Really, getting out the door more early than we are now.  I want to try to stop packing in so many last minute things before leaving to get Luke from school.  I am tired of the rushing and our schedule is about as uncomplicated as it can be (besides school, I still look back so fondly on the days without school runs!).  I want to spend time with Matt most evenings and get to bed at a reasonable time (what "parent of two kids, one of whom is in school" me considers a reasonable time is about two hours earlier than what "working, no kids" me thought of as reasonable!).  Whoever said that going to bed early is sleeping in for parents...is 100% correct.  I love days of going to bed early!

I don't just want to be early in our school routines either, we really tried to be earlier to our recent family holiday parties and largely succeeded.  I want to be early to Mass.  I despise doing things at the last minute and want to give myself a little more breathing room between when I get things done and when they need to be done.  I'd love to look back in a year and know we worked to reduce the rushing in most of our days.

As for other resolutions, most of my easily measured goals will be coming in my 20 in 2020 post next week, but a few I usually keep here.  First, checking how I did on 2019's "resolutions"

1) Read 150 Books
I read 175, same as 2018.

2) Run 300 Miles, run a race
I ran 307 miles and did a 10k with Matt in the fall.  I was on target to hit at least 350 but then got what I'm pretty sure was a stress fracture in my foot which made running impossible. (Maybe that's why you should replace running shoes before you have put 750 miles on them...).  Matt and I got in a pretty good running routine especially in the later summer, early fall so hopefully we can pick it up again when the weather is good.

3) Get Rid of 150 Things
I stopped keeping track after awhile but I know we were at least at 200, mostly from the annual purge I do through the whole house at the start of each year.  We still have too many things though!

2020 is going to be more of the same on these!
1) Read 150 Books
Really, I'd like to match my 175 of the last two years but I officially put 150 on Goodreads because I hate when it says I'm behind.  And 150 is nothing to be ashamed about.

2) Run 350 Miles, Run a Race
I was pretty happy with my running and fitting it in with the boys' schedules over the summer and into early fall.  Hopeful we can do a 10k again together this fall, unless I get crazy and sign up for the half.

3) Get Rid of 200 Things
I know from my own personal experience, that if something keeps nagging at me (such as having too many possessions), that there is still work to be done.  So I plan to keep up my annual purge, it was an excellent activity for the multitude of snow days Luke had last winter!

I think this "fresh start feeling" at the beginning of the new year comes from not just starting a new calendar and planner (and remembering to write 20 instead of 19), but also from largely taking two weeks off our normal routines for Christmas break.  It combines to make January, especially once school is started again, a perfect time to integrate some new habits and stick to our routines.  I am looking forward to looking back in a year and remarking at how early we were to everything! (Everything is a stretch, but majority of the time hopefully!). 

If you are a "word of the year" person I'd love to hear yours!


2019 resolutions
2018 resolutions
2017 resolutions
2016 resolutions
2015 resolutions
2014 resolutions
2013 resolutions
2012 resolutions
2011 resolutions
2010 resolutions

No comments: