Monday, July 27, 2020

Mixed Drink Monday: Hawaiian Margarita


Some drinks, when I sit down to write them I only have vague recollections of which drink they were, since I'm often making a few a weekend.  That's when it's time to consult my notes (I take notes now on these!).  However, I did not have that problem with this drink.  I very much remember drinking it and what it tastes like because it was STRONG.  Strong.  The strongest drink I've had in quite some time.  It was a good thing I started drinking it about 1pm on a Friday (at the lake) when we had nothing else to do.  It's also a very good thing I drank at least ½ gallon of water between drinking this and going to bed.  I generally drink a lot of water.  This day I drank A LOT of water.  Maybe why we went through 3 of our 5 gallons of water in our first 24 hours at the lake.

If you've been following along here for awhile you may have noticed that I've made a wide variety of margaritas.  I don't know that I had made a single one before this project and now I make so many that I have to conscientiously spread them out so I am not posting a different margarita recipe each week.  This has certainly helped narrow down the types of liquor we buy (basically, tequila, triple sec, and rum).  I have, however, increased the amount of pineapple juice, buying at least one of the large cans on every single Target trip or drive-up order.  Anything I don't use for drinks is usually added to our pitcher of orange juice, something we pretty much only drink at the lake!

I was pretty confident this was going to be a winner since I am a big fan of all the ingredients (and had them all on hand!).  I even dug out a shaker for the first time in...a long time and was pleasantly surprised to find that, by my measurements, this fit perfectly in a shaker and then perfectly in my glass!  That worked out really well!  This had a fantastic taste and I would make it again, although next time I would probably half the alcohol because this was just really really strong.  It is a wonderful addition to my deep margarita recipe stash!

Note: the below measurements are based off what I drank, half your alcohol if you don't want a super strong drink! 


One year ago: Hawaiian Hammer
Two years ago:
Jamaican Rum Punch
Three years ago: Caribbean Margarita

Four years ago: Pineapple Coconut Spritzer (one of my very favorites from this project)

Five years ago: Lemon Granita

Six years ago: Aloha Pineapple Jamba Juice


Hawaiian Margarita
yield: 1 drink
Ingredients
-1½ ounce (3 TB) Triple Sec
-3 ounces (6 TB) tequila
-3 ounces (6 TB) coconut water
-4½ ounces (9 TB) pineapple juice
-½ ounce (1 TB) lime juice
-ice
-rimming salt
-1 lime for rimming and accent (optional)

Directions
1) Cut a wedge from the lime and rub around the top of your glass.  Dip in rimming salt and set aside. 
2) In a shaker, combine the Triple Sec, tequila, coconut water, pineapple juice, lime juice and ice.  Shake.  Strain into prepared glass and enjoy!



Source: Slightly modified from The Purple Pumpkin Blog
____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page

No comments: