Monday, June 14, 2021

Mixed Drink Monday: Kiwi Margaritas

Growing up it felt like we ate kiwi often, at least semi-regularly.  I could very well be remembering this wrong but I remember there being kiwi in the fridge and even picking them out myself at Meijer long ago.  For some reason, kiwi were never something I bought as an adult.  Aldi sells them in clamshells so they didn't grab me as much and I had kinda forgotten about them.

Then I decided I wanted to do some sort of themed meal for St. Patrick's Day.  We had fish n chips (which might not be Irish but we ate that often in Ireland so we are going with it), Irish cheese as an apetitzer, and then green food for everything else.  This meant a green fruit salad with green apples, green grapes, and kiwi.  And then key lime pie.  It was all delicious and ever so slightly on our (loose) theme.

Well, that may have been the first time the boys had kiwi and they both really liked it.  Who knew!  Not them!  Since then we've been buying it semi-often, basically whenever Aldi has them and not much else on sale, fruit wise.  So I knew, when I saw this recipe, that it would be perfect since we are now a kiwi eating house.

The slight problem came when I went to make these margaritas on a Friday evening and saw that the kiwi were supposed to be very ripe, probably after sitting on the counter for a few days.  I wanted to make a drink now and my kiwi hadn't been sitting on the counter.  SO, I pivoted and left some kiwi on the counter and made these the following weekend.  I also had a shaker at home for the first time in a long time and it was nice to actually be able to follow the instructions when it said to use one!  

These were fruity and fresh and rather delicious.  The seeds weren't annoying and they ended up a pleasant green color.  Definitely a winner and worth having again, for all the times we now have kiwi at home.

One year ago: Hawaiian Margarita
Two years ago:
Colada Elixir
Three years ago: The Fizzy Flamingo

Four years ago: Raspberry Margarita
Five years ago: Pineapple Cooler
Six years ago: Raspberry Oatmeal Smoothie
Seven years ago: Raspberry Lemonade x2

Kiwi Margarita
yield: one drink

Ingredients
-1 ripe kiwi, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
-2 oz (4 TB or ¼ cup) tequila
-1 oz (2 TB) triple sec
-1 oz (2 TB) lime juice, fresh is best but bottled works in a pinch
-1 oz (2 TB) simple syrup
-½ cup ice
-coarse salt for the rim
-kiwi slice for garnish, optional (cut this before slicing the kiwi)

Directions
1) To make the simple syrup, combine equal parts water and sugar (I usually do 1 cup of each) in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Stir often, until the sugar has been dissolved. Let cool before using and refrigerate the leftovers.

2) Combine the kiwi pieces, tequila, triple sec, lime juice, simple syrup, and ice in a shaker.  Shake until nicely chilled and well combined.  

3) Run the squeezed lime halves (or water on a corner of a paper towel, in a pinch) around the top of your glass and dip into a plate of salt.  Pour the shaken margarita into the prepared glass and add more ice, if you wish.

Enjoy!

 

Source: Slightly modified from White on Rice Couple ____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!  

No comments: