Tuesday, January 11, 2022

{25} Favorite Picture Books of 2021

Last week I wrote a post about my {10} Favorite Grown-Up Reads of 2021 and those are some of my favorite posts to write.  I really enjoy the process of looking back at my year of reading and picking which books/reading experiences really stood out.

As much time as I spend reading to myself (and it's a lot), I also spent a decent amount of time (but not nearly as much) reading to my boys.  We added 1,616 books to Sam's totals in 2021 and 1,312 to Luke's (I CONSTANTLY think about how I never thought I would be able to do 1000 books by kindergarten...and now we easily read that in 12 months).  Reading to the boys is my favorite activity to get them to (mostly) calm down and to get them to sit close with me.  We learn a lot and spend some good time together.  Luke reads graphic novels to himself and I read him chapter books but I don't think we'll be stopping picture books anytime soon.  They are just SO MANY good ones.  I really have learned so much from them myself.

It's much harder narrowing down this list (see the 1000+ books we added in year) than picking my own top 10.  My initial list for this was 83 and I was getting picky by the end to even add them to that list.  I almost completely avoided seasonal books even though I could probably come up with another 20 really good ones that are tied to SOME holiday or season.  These weren't all published in 2021, some are new in 2021 but regardless, 2021 is when we first read them to they are eligible for the list! 

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, links for which are included within this post, at no additional cost to you.  Thanks for helping support this blog!   Of course, utilize the library or shop used or from an independent bookstore, if you prefer!

One Day on Our Blue Planet: In the Ocean by Ella Bailey
This One Day on Our Blue Planet series has been a phenomenal and fun find.  This one, obviously, is about the ocean and the creatures that call it home.  The pictures are lovely and so colorful and in every one we've learned about a new creature.  Highly recommend them all.

The Gravity Tree: The True Story of a Tree that Inspired the World by Anna Crowley Redding, illustrated by Yas Imamura
I mostly tried to steer clear of biography books too since I could also fill a list of just those but this one almost brought me to tears so it's on the list.  It's about Isaac Newton and the tree that taught him about gravity.  The part that made me emotional is when it talked about all the famous people who have traveled to see this apple tree, Albert Einstein, Stephen Hawking, Queen Elizabeth, many more, who found inspiration all from a modest tree.  Nature can teach so much, even by dropping apples.

The Office: A Day at Dunder Mifflin Elementary by Robb Pearlman, illustrated by Melanie Demmer
I bought this months before I pulled it out to read to the boys because I wasn't sure how much appeal it actually had to kids.  Turns out, Sam LOVES it (his favorite is "Duwight") and Luke is aware of the show but doesn't know any of the references and still enjoys it.  It's very cute and OVERFLOWING with references to the show.  This isn't one we learned anything from but it is very cute.

The World Needs Who You Were Made to Be by Joanna Gaines, illustrated by Julianna Swaney
This book has the most charming pictures and I love a good self-esteem boosting book from time to time.  I'll admit that I read them almost as much for myself as I do for my boys.  Thank you, Joanna Gaines, for reminding me that the world needs me, thank you.

The View at the Zoo by Kathleen Long Bostrom, illustrated by Guy Francis
I found this one slyly funny.  Yes, we go to the zoo to see the animals but I never thought much about what the animals are getting to see too!

Mapping Sam by Joyce Hesselberth
This is a book that I have checked out more than once because my darling Sam learned to read his own name and, for some reason, this one is frequently cover facing out at the library.  And, of course, he wants to read a book with his own name in the title (I have a book with Diana on the spine on my nightstand so who am I to judge?!?).  This is showing kids a variety of different types of maps and a bit on how they can be used.  Thanks, Sam, for finding this one!

God the Father and the Best Day Ever by Gracie Jagla, illustrated by Jacob Popcak
My sister let me borrow this and I found it so charming that I bought our own copy.  This is the story of God's "best day ever" - the day Jesus opened the gates to heaven to let everyone in after his crucifixion.  I can't say I ever thought of it like that but now I do!

Something's Wrong!: A Bear, a Hare, and Some Underwear by Jory John, illustrated by Erin Kraan
On a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT spectrum, this is about a bear who leaves his forest home, wearing the new underwear that someone (his mom? an aunt?) sent him for his birthday.  Everyone is giving him funny looks as he walks around the forest until his friend, Hare, points out that animals don't wear underwear.  He didn't forget his pants, he just shouldn't have put on underwear.  But then they save face by setting a new trend - now all the animals wear underwear!

Swashby and the Sea by Beth Ferry
This is a bit of a seasonal book (it's on my summer list) but became a big favorite of the boys'.  Swashby is a grumpy older man who lives on an empty part of a beach and likes it that way.  Then a girl and her grandmother move in next door.  Now Swashby has a VERY enthusiastic little neighbor who would like them to be friends.  

If Sharks Disappeared by Lily Williams
This "If BLANK ANIMAL Disappeared" series is ALSO phenomenal.  She shows what could happen to an ecosystem and the whole world if a particular species was wiped out.  The boys had a bit of a shark thing (Hammerhead and Sam in particular) this summer so I picked this one for the list but they are all very good.  I can't say I ever though much about the wide reaching ramifications of a whole species being gone!

Who Loves Little Lemur? by Ann Whitford Paul, illustrated by Jay Fleck
This is more of a preschooler book, pointing out all the different people who might love this little lemur in their jungle.  HOWEVER.  It is a whole book about Ring. Tailed. Lemurs.  And at this house we happen to be fairly big fans of those.  I will not be allowed to return this until I am out of renewals.  We will buy it eventually.

I Am Anne Frank by Brad Meltzer, illustrated by Christopher Eliopoulos
We have read nearly all of Brad Meltzer's books in this "Ordinary People Change the World" series but this might be our very favorite.  Luke has a bit of knowledge of Nazis and World War II and Hitler (almost entirely thanks to picture books) and that, combined with knowing ALL of his great-grandfathers served in World War II, and learning that Anne Frank died at such a young age, that made this one resonate more than many of the others.

Don't Forget to Remember by Ellie Holcomb, illustrated by Kayla Harren
This is one so beloved that we gifted it to two of our young godchildren this Christmas.  It became so beloved because of the inclusion, in pictures, of lemurs and red pandas and many other favorite animals (except jellyfish and hammerheads) but the message is so wonderful to read with the boys.  Another one that sometimes I pull out because *I* need the reminders.  God won't forget me.

Mars! Earthlings Welcome! by Stacy McAnulty, illustrated by Stevie Lewis
Space picture books is a favorite genre here and we also love Stacy McAnulty's series about the planets/Earth.  This one is as good as the others and especially exciting as more space talk is about landing on Mars (someday).  Also, planets who talk as humans will always be a favorite subgenre of mine.

Mel Fell by Corey Tabor
Another that is slightly seasonal (it's on my spring list) but really, it's just about a bird.  A bird that everyone thinks is falling from her tree.  But really she's just doing what Kingfishers do.  She is fishing.  All the animals that try to "save" her on her way down and then try to "save" the fish on it's way down, very charming.

We Believe in You by Beth Ferry, illustrated by Molly Idle
Another of the self-esteem books but told in a way that resonated with us!  And the pictures were great, of course, done by one of our favorites, Molly Idle.

The Elephants Come Home: A True Story of Seven Elephants, Two People, and One Extraordinary Friendship by Kim Tomsic, illustrated by Hadley Hooper
This is another true story, one about elephants who lived on some sort of protected reserve in Africa (I believe).  They bonded with the owners but then the elephants would go off and do their elephant thing for months at a time (this place was huge).  The ending had me tearing up.  

Over and Under the Canyon by Kate Messner, illustrated by Christopher Silas Neal
Another series we really like, Kate Messner's Over/Under series.  I related this to the Grand Canyon although apparently it's actually some other famous, desert canyon but close enough most of the animals are probably the same.  We like these enough that I usually put a new one on hold before it's in our library's circulation (giving up one of my precious holds!).

10 Reasons to Love a Turtle by Catherine Barr, illustrated by Hanako Clulow
This is also a series with books about a few different animals but we liked this turtle one the best.  We've read a decent amount of books about turtles but I still came away with knowing a few new things!

Bear is a Bear by Jonathan Stutzman, illustrated by Dan Santat
I've read this one to the boys a few times and it chokes me up every. single. time.  A stuffed bear is just a bear but it is also a playmate and companion and so many things to a kid with an imagination.  Sam hasn't latched to one single stuffed animal like Luke & Lemur (who went EVERYWHERE with us for a few years) but thinking of Luke & Lemur and how old Luke is getting...yep, tears.  

Finding Beauty by Talitha Shipman
I found out after reading and enjoying this that she is a local author (who went to college with my cousin!).  Lovely story with great pictures about finding beauty all around us!

This Very Tree: A Story of 9/11, Resilience, and Regrowth by Sean Rubin
9/11 is an event that was VERY present in my mind this past fall, with the 20 year anniversary.  I appreciated new pictures books to read to my boys about it, Luke knew a bit about it before but even Matt & I, after visiting the Memorial almost 9 years ago, didn't know about this tree (and it turns out I have a picture of it! Because it seemed to be an important tree.).  This tree between the World Trade Centers survived the attacks and is still going.  We are all more resilient than we think.

Where Happiness Lives by Barry Timms, illustrated by Greg Abbott
Lovely pictures in a story about a couple of mice who dream of bigger and fancier things, until they visit the bigger and fancier place and realize how much those mice dream of a nice quiet home like the original mice have.  Very charming and a good reminder than happiness can live anywhere.

Someone Builds the Dream by Lisa Wheeler, illustrated by Loren Long
Dreams are great and all and we need people who dream and make plans but this book celebrated the workers who put those dreams into action, like the construction crew who builds the new building and less celebrated people like that.  Reminder that it takes a lot of people to get things like that done!

Brains! Not Just a Zombie Snack! by Stacy McAnulty, illustrated by Matthew Rivera
My school anatomy education stopped around 5th grade or so (which is why I refer the boys and their bones/artery/muscle questions to Matt) and it was amazing to learn (or be reminded of) all the things our brains can do! 

If you have any picture books that you've loved recently I'd love to hear about them!  Really, I cannot overstate enough how much I would really like to hear about them!

{20} Favorite Picture Books We Read in 2020

No comments: