Monday, March 5, 2012

The surgical experience

So this has been a big couple of days for us.  On top of the whole adoption thing I also had surgery last Thursday.  When I first found out I told people it wasn't real surgery because it was only on my foot...I take that back.  Definitely felt real.  Wednesday night I cleaned the house and tried to get things ready for being couch bound.  Did some prep for Kat's shower.  Drank as much water as I could up until 11:59:59 (literally, the last second). 

We had to be at the surgery center at 12:30.  Got all checked in and then waited.  About 1 they took us back so I could change and get all hooked up to the machines (IV, heart monitor, blood pressure, and blood-oxygen finger thing).  That took about 15 minutes.  Then we waited...a long time.  One of those times iPhones really help. 
All hooked up and ready

Had to make sure they got the right ankle.  I already miss it...

I was supposed to have surgery at 2pm.  They didn't even come back to do my block until a little before 3.  Yep...running a little late.  They said the block would be better recovery than general anesthesia.  I got some sleeping drugs in my IV so I don't remember much after that.  I do remember rolling to my right side so it would only numb that leg but I don't remember the actual shot.  Which is good.  The IV needle was scary enough.  Matt was able to come back for another 15 minutes or so before they took me back.  I remember talking to him about our trip and then I remember being in the OR when they were putting up the curtain.  Next thing I knew it was all over.  Surgery was the easiest part of the day!!

Post-surgery, feeling pretty good

I was back to recovery around 4:30.  I don't remember being there without Matt but he said it was about 15 minutes before he came back.  I FINALLY got something to drink.  That was amazing.  The block took most of the rest of the night to wear off so I was feeling pretty good.  We washed the car on the way to Target for my drugs (my idea, it was pretty gross after driving to Michigan).


My view for the last few days
Home and took my drugs right away.  The drugs kept the pain away but also made me nauseous.  Didn't have a very pleasant first 24 hours.  They called another prescription in to help with the nausea and once I got that I was able to mostly stop the puking.  If I get overly ambitious and off the couch too much I get light headed and sick but as long as I'm on the couch I feel pretty normal.  The pain isn't too bad in my foot.  I am hooked up to the cooler most of the time.  Sometimes I can feel the stitches pulling weird and it can take a little while to get comfortable but for the most part it's not too bad. 

We go to the doctor tomorrow (Tuesday) for my first follow-up.  I don't know if I'm getting a boot already or if it'll be another cast.  I know I won't be putting weight on it for awhile still.  I am anxious to see my incision and see how gross my leg got in 5 days.  I'm supposed to be back at work on Wednesday but I highly doubt I'll make it all day judging by how I felt being up a few hours on Sunday.  We'll see how it goes.  All this time on the couch hasn't been too bad at all.  Pretty enjoyable, actually.

No comments: