Friday, June 7, 2013

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign

For many years I had been looking for something to hang over our bed.  I had lots of ideas or possibilities but nothing I really really loved.  I started looking for something with these lyrics from the Snow Patrol song "Chasing Cars":
Would you lie with me
And just forget the world
I found some decals to buy that could then be stuck on the wall but I didn't like those much.  Then my favorite food blogger, Annie-Eats, posted this tutorial for making a sign and I decided that is what I would do.

I pinned it in late February/early March with the intent of doing it after tax season.  Then Matt needed some plywood for a project so he just bought one huge piece, enough for multiple projects, this being one.  Then began my 2 month project...

First step cutting, which Matt did when working on his project.  Then I painted them white with some leftover trim paint we had in the basement.  

Second step was doing all the lettering.  I had thought about printing letters and tracing them onto the board but then really liked the idea of it being in my handwriting.  It probably took about 2 1/2 hours per sign to make the letters.  This sounds long but I just did it while catching up on DVR'd shows or as an excuse to watch some Friday Night Lights.  

After the lettering came the taping.  I taped and used a knife to cut on my pencil lines.  This was probably another 3 hours per board (again, caught up on tv shows and watched FNL).  I used the green painters tape because it held better than the blue. 

Then it was the painting.  I tried to spray paint them so they would match the frames I was also painting for our room but that wasn't a good plan.  I ended up buying a sample jar of paint from Lowes for around $3 and rolling them.  This was pretty easy because I did it in the basement while watching Cougar Town (my basement workout show).  I watched a lot of tv making these.

This is where I left off before going to NYC.  I figured it would give them plenty of time to dry and then they'd be quick to finish when we got home.


Then Luke happened.

On Matt's second week off I finally got back to my signs.  Just had to peel off the tape.  

Luke helped by sleeping during this process (he's in the bouncy seat).


Did a few touch-ups, mostly to cover up the pencil lines that showed. 

Then they were finally ready to be hung.  They sat around our room for a few (3...) weeks waiting for us to figure out how to hang them.  Then Mother's Day came and I told Matt what I really wanted (besides a lemon tree) was help hanging things in our bedroom (also had the previously mentioned frames, now all painted too).  

So now, finally, 7 years after moving in, we have something hanging over our bed.  And it makes me happy every time I walk up the stairs.  They aren't perfect but they are the words I wanted and I made them!!  And I really like that they are in my handwriting, as imperfect as it is.  



I have no idea how much time I spent on these overall...probably getting close to 15 hours but it was so spread out it didn't seem that bad.  They were only around $20 to make too, way cheaper than anything I considered buying.  Plus, I'm big on doing things myself. =)  

Overall...project success.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Nice work!!!!!!

DD said...

I think they, and the picture frames look really nice in your room...I need to do something to hang above our bed, but as long as I get it done in the next 3 years we'll still beat you =)

diana said...

Hahahaha...I'm glad I give you very low expectations. =)