Monday, July 21, 2014

Mixed Drinks Monday: pineapple margarita & orange-strawberry smoothie

Pineapple Margarita
I like pineapples a lot (especially fresh ones and on pizza) and so this drink was a pretty safe bet.  Plus I had most of the ingredients on hand after making strawberry-coconut margaritas a few weeks ago (and a few times since).  The flavor was ok, not overly pineapple-y.  I think I would have enjoyed it better frozen but didn't want to risk chopping ice in the blender since Luke is still an iffy sleeper at the lake.  I much prefer frozen drinks to on the rocks.  It was one of those that was fine to drink but not one of my favorite finds.  I just realized I should combine the two drinks for a strawberry-coconut-pineapple margarita.  Now that has to happen by the end of the summer. 

Ingredients:
yield: 1 drink
6 oz pineapple juice (one small can)
1/2 cup (4oz) orange juice
1/4 cup Triple Sec
1/4 cup tequilia
1 TB (1/2 oz) lime juice
ice

Directions:
Combine all ingredients.  Stir or shake.  Serve over ice.

Strawberry Orange Smoothie
yield: 2 decent size smoothies or 3 smaller ones

Matt and I just had these this afternoon and we both liked them.  The orange & strawberry flavors were nicely blended and neither overtook the other.  The hint of vanilla was enough to give it an extra taste but wasn't overpowering. 

Ingredients:
approx. 1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 TB sugar
approx. 1 cup of ice cubes

Directions:
Combine all in a blender and blend until smoothie consistency.  With the ice and frozen berries this was frozen enough to drink immediately.  If you use fresh berries you'll have to freeze it for awhile.


pineapple margarita    strawberry orange smoothie

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: