Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Amazing Strawberry Buttercream Frosting

You might be wondering why I am posting a recipe for an incredible strawberry buttercream when it is most definitely not strawberry season.  It’s the complete opposite of strawberry season.   I have good reason for this those, I promise.  First, this is one of my two favorite frosting recipes EVER (see the other here) AND, even better, it can be made year round because it doesn’t require fresh or frozen berries.  That definitely makes it holiday season appropriate.


This the frosting I used to make Luke’s requested strawberry cupcakes for his birthday (using the cupcake recipe at the source).  Then when Matt and I were talking cake flavors for his birthday he ended up on a white cupcake with strawberry frosting.  I made the white cupcakes from scratch but they weren’t really good but the frosting was, again, amazing.  Then when I was taking cupcakes into his work for his birthday (a month late, due to some sickness and car issues), I just used a box white cake mix from Aldi with the frosting.  And you know what, nobody noticed if the cupcakes weren’t the greatest since they were topped with such amazing frosting.  It’s seriously amazing.  I’m not a big frosting person (unless it’s chocolate) but this stuff is good.  If you are the type of people who have cake for Christmas (are there those types of people?) then this would definitely be a winner.  Or for any other occasion any time of the year.  

I have no good strategy for decorating (you may notice that) but my best tip is to just buy a big tip.  It makes all cupcake decorating, regular and mini, so much easier.  I frosted 24 regular sized cupcakes in under 10 minutes without a problem.   


Note: I buy my freeze dried strawberries at Target, I believe they are near the raisins?  Or maybe trail mix.  

Amazing Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
yield: enough for 24 regular sized cupcakes
Ingredients
-1 cup (10-12g) freeze dried strawberries
-1 cup (235g) unsalted butter, room temperature
-4 cups (480g) powdered sugar
-3TB heavy cream
-pinch of salt

Directions
1) Use a blender or food processor to process the strawberries almost to a powder.  It should be around ½ cup.  Set aside.
2) Using a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes.  With the mixer on low, slowly add the powdered sugar, strawberry powder, heavy cream, vanilla extract, and salt.  Increase to high speed and beat for 3 full minutes.  Add small amounts of cream or powdered sugar to adjust consistency (I've never had to do this).  
3) Frost cupcakes immediately.  The frosting to fine to sit out for a few hours but if you are keeping them overnight I refrigerate and then let come to room temperature before serving.  


No comments: