Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Easy Books for Getting Back in the Reading Groove - Memoir

This week I'm sharing some books in a few (4) categories that I've found to be pretty easy to read!  I'm all for encouraging others to read but sometime the problem is knowing what to read, something I struggled with through my early-mid 20s.  The more I've read the more I've found that I want to read so sometimes you might just need help getting started!  These are all books I've enjoyed and, in many cases, enough to purchase!  I don't buy a lot of books (HUGE library user) so that's a confident sign!  Hope you can find something you like!

These are all memoir-ish going all the way from humor to inspiring.


1) Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling
A long time ago, during her The Office day, Mindy had a blog called something like "Things I've Bought" with various recommendations.  I found some great licorice on there and her writing style cracked me up.  She was also behind many of the best Office episodes.  Mindy herself agrees that this book should be easy to read:
And this isn't the first time I've quoted her here on my blog (going waaaaay back to 2013 in a post that remains a sentimental favorite of mine).  I've found that every celebrity essay book I've read has been pretty easy to get through and this one is no exception, at 222 pages.  Some stuff about The Office.  A lot about her childhood.  If you liked her on The Office, or perhaps The Mindy Show (which I honestly gave up on after season 2ish), then you'd probably enjoy this.

2) Kisses from Katie: A Story of Relentless Love and Redemption by Katie J. Davis with Beth Clark
COMPLETELY shifting gears here but still sticking with the "I first mentioned this in 2013" theme... This is the memoir of a young (20s) woman who went to Uganda on a mission trip in high school and ended up moving back after she graduated and, in a few short years, had adopted 14 (!!) girls.  It's a little mind blowing but also awe-inspiring.  I certainly don't have it in me to drop my life here and move half way around the globe (something I'm sure my husband and son appreciate) but am always amazed at people who can and do.  I finished this book inspired to do what I can to improve the world.  I should read it again.

3) Dad is Fat by Jim Gaffigan
Now, if you've watched his stand-up specials you'll quickly realize a lot of this is repeats but not nearly all of it.  I read this book very quickly a few years ago and then, with some Audible credits, downloaded the audiobook recently (read by Jim himself) for Matt and I to listen to together on a long drive.  Even having watched all his specials on Netflix and having read this before, I was still laughing out loud at parts.  My favorite line (as a mother to a 3 year old who may have thrown a 45 minute fit today because we asked him to wear pants...in January).
 And this:
Makes me feel a little better about my parental failings (like telling the internet about my lovely son's 45 minute fits).

I was laughing just reading all the quotes on Goodreads so do yourself a favor and read this if you are a parents, especially of young children.  (mentioned previously here)

4) Bossypants by Tina Fey
If I was a super dedicated blogger I would have recently reread all these books before posting them.  But, seeing as this is a hobby that makes me almost nothing and I do have a life off my computer (although...I read constantly so...saying I don't have time to read is a big pile of lies).  To be honest, I haven't read this book in 4 years BUT it's this many years later AND I still remember enjoying it.  So that's a good sign, right?  Especially if you are/were a fan of SNL or 30 Rock (another show we gave up on a few seasons in...I'm sensing a theme here...).  Actually I think I should reread this one this year...

5) My Year with Eleanor by Noelle Hancock
Switching gears again to another book I've mentioned before (here and here).  I've actually read this one more than once AND recently.  Noelle loses her job and decides to spend a year doing one thing every day that scares her.  Some days (when desperate) it's streaking in her apartment hallway.  Some days it's swimming with sharks or hiking Mount Kilimanjaro.  (Right now I can tell you NONE of those are things I want to do.)  I might be a little scared of many things, live a pretty sheltered life with not much risk so I could relate to a lot of what she was talking about.  If you are nodding along, or just want need to be convinced that you really don't want to swim with sharks, then you should read this.

BONUS
I haven't read this BUT have heard good things about Lauren Graham's new book:  Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between.  Despite most of my sisters loving it, I never watched Gilmore Girls and (also) gave up on Parenthood a few seasons in (I don't give up on all shows!  Although we have since dropped one I mentioned here too...)  I've heard there is a lot of behind the scenes to both those shows so if you watched and enjoyed, I'd think about picking this one up!


_________________________________________________________________
New Years Resolution to read more?  Don't know where to start?  I'm aiming to help you out this week with 5 (or 6) books in 4 different categories, all of which I deem pretty "easy" to read - easy to get hooked, enjoyable to read, the best kind of book to start a good reading habit!

No comments: