Monday, June 10, 2019

Mixed Drink Monday: Colada Elixir


My goal this summer with my drink posts, besides only posting them every other week, is to alternate between alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks.  I know plenty of people who don't drink, for baby or just other reasons, and I want options for them too!  Plus, it's easy to make the non-alcoholic drinks in the daytime (better light for photographing!) and share with Luke!  He always loves getting special drinks.

I never had a pina colada until almost two years ago when I made one for this project.  I have NO idea how I missed out on those for so long because it was delicious.  That should have been obvious because I am generally a fan of pineapple and coconut flavored drinks (those two show up A LOT here).  So when I saw this version for a lighter pina colada in a magazine, I knew I would be making and almost guaranteed to enjoy it.

Now, to be honest, I did put alcohol in these but it certainly isn't needed.  I mixed up a batch in the blender and poured Luke a glass.  Then added a little coconut rum (what I had on hand, and, also, delicious), give it another whirl, and then poured two glasses for Matt and myself.  I didn't try Luke's glass but I imagine it tastes pretty similar to ours (I used maybe one shot of rum between our two drinks).  It was refreshing, had fantastic flavor, and used ingredients I generally have on hand in the summer.  Definitely worth a try, we'll probably make it again.

Note: I did rim our glasses with this toasted coconut salt from Mucho Gusto because I had it with me and I really like that stuff but it certainly isn't necessary. 

One year ago: The Fizzy Flamingo
Two years ago:
Raspberry Margarita
Three years ago:
Pineapple Cooler

Four years ago: Perfect & Easy Sweet Sun Tea

Five years ago: Malibu Drink

 

Colada Elixir
yield: about 3 drinks
Ingredients
-2 peeled bananas
-2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
-1 cup pineapple juice
-1 cup coconut water
-1 cup ice
-juice of one fresh lemon

Directions
Put all ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth, and serve!


Source: Better Homes & Garden June 2018 issue 
____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page

No comments: