Monday, May 25, 2020

Mixed Drink Monday: Homemade Honey Margaritas


Happy Memorial Day!  Who knows what this summer is going to bring but at least mine is going to have some margaritas.  I've been starting my summer of Mixed Drinks with margaritas for awhile because we always make margaritas for Cinqo and those always end up on the blog.  Which means we are constantly trying out new (to us) margarita recipes.  Let me tell you, this is not much of a burden.  Maybe a tiny bit because I have to pause tasting them to take pictures of them...but that's pretty much it. 

I have a go-to margarita recipe but when this one fell into my lap and I saw it contained honey.  Well, I knew we'd be making these.  I do enjoy some honey; feeling really glad I stocked up with a coupon on the big jars at Target at the end of February.  I got enough to last me through quarantine (I use honey in my near daily tea) and even make margaritas.  One of those times I'm very happy with the choices of my former self.

Now, you may notice these aren't very big drinks.  They are not.  I even loaded up the ice because I'm always leery of how strong a new drink will be (and this one is certainly strong!).  Not something you can sip for a super long time unless you are a very slow sipper BUT these were perfect to drink with our supper on this particular evening...and then I made them again the next afternoon because they were so enjoyable. (And because Matt had the day off and because it was sunny and nice to be outside and just because they were good.) 

I will be making these again, and not just because I have leftover honey simple syrup.  This is just a very good margarita.


 One year ago: Sweet Tea Margarita
Two years ago:
Blackberry Margarita
Three years ago: Basic Margarita 

Five years ago: Strawberry Coconut Smoother & Beer Margarita

Six years ago: Blackberry Sun Tea & Sex on the Beach

Homemade Honey Margarita
yield: 1 drink

Ingredients
Honey Simple Syrup
-½ cup honey
-½ cup water


Margarita
-1½ ounces (3 TB) tequilia
-1 ounce (2 TB) honey simple syrup
-1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice (juice from ½ lime or 1 TB)
-1 ounce (2 TB) Triple Sec  
-salt for rimming (I always use toasted coconut salt) \
-ice


Directions
1) To make the honey simple syrup, combine the honey and water in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Simmer until they are full incorporated, about 3-5 minutes.  Let cool and then refridgerate.

2) Rim a glass with a lime wedge, or the half you are about to juice.  Turn glass upside down in a plate of salt.  Add ice to glass.

3) In the prepared glass add the tequila, prepared honey simple syrup, and lime juice.  Combine well.  (You can also do this in a shaker, if you have one).  Top with the Triple Sec and enjoy!

 
 
Source: slightly modified from Our Savory Life
____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page

No comments: