Monday, June 27, 2016

Mixed Drink Monday: Triple Berry Sangria

I've made two different versions of sangria on this blog.  A Blackberry Pineapple one I liked and a Red, White and Blue one that was waaaay too strong.  I was only thinking of the latter when I was making this though.  I did not want another "take wine and add fruit and vodka" recipe that gave me something way. too. strong. to comfortably drink.  I also have another recipe I want to make with wine and I didn't want to have to buy another bottle because I end up drinking the entire batch of most things I make here and that's just a lot of wine.  So, with plenty of fresh fruit and all the above in mind, I decided to halve the wine and keep everything else the same.  Turns out that's a really good way to make sangria!  It wasn't too strong and saved me from drinking a whole bottle of wine on my own!  Which, really, I don't need under any circumstances for any reason.
Tripe Berry Sangria
yield: enough for 8?  
Ingredients

1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
¼ cup water
¼ cup sugar

1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1 cup halved strawberries, fresh or frozen
1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
~½ bottle Moscato wine (I used my favorite from Aldi)
-1 batch of raspberry simple syrup (below)
½ cup raspberry vodka
1 can lemon-lime soda or ginger ale


Directions
1)  Combine 1 cup of raspberries with the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.  Bring to a slow boil and cook until the sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently.  Remove from heat and let cool then strain through a fine-mesh sieve.  This is the raspberry simple syrup.

2)  Put all the fruit in the bottom of a pitcher.  Add the wine, vodka, and raspberry simple syrup.  Let refrigerate at least an hour.  Add the soda just before serving. 

My Thoughts
I liked this!  It wasn't strong at all, which was the whole point, but easily could be made stronger if wanted.  The fruits all added a really great taste and the balance was just right!  Definitely something I'd made again! And it was pretty all mixed together!



Source: Modified from One Sweetness

__________________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: