Friday, August 26, 2016

Things I Like - August

1) Map my Run app
I have been using the MapMyRun website for the last 2 summers to keep track of my distances and times.  I use the stopwatch on my phone and was running the same route, or the same few routes, around the neighborhood.  The website would save my routes, I could pick which one I did, put in my time, and get an average pace.  It worked well for many many miles.  Then I went running with two sister-in-laws and one of them had a running watch which let you know when you completed a mile, gave you a pace, average pace, and more.  Basically much better than I was doing with my stopwatch and website.  So I came home from that run and told Matt I wanted a running watch too, especially since I was starting to increase my distance.  He told me there was probably something I could get for my phone for free.  And there was.  The app version of the website I had been using for over a year.  Duh.

I always have my phone with me on my runs, either in the stroller or strapped to my arm so it wasn't any more complicated than downloading the app, logging in with my web log-in, and then starting to run.  It lets me know when I've completed a mile, what my total time is, what my pace was for that mile, and my average pace for the whole run.  My sister-in-law with the fancy watch said she had checked her watch against our niece using the app and they were pretty close besides the calorie burned (which I don't pay attention to anyways).  I feel like it's opened up all new paths for me!  Now I don't have to stick to where I have run before or try to remember my exact route because my phone does it for me!  I can see how far I've gone and figure out where else to run to get in the miles I want to for each day.  It's really really helped as I've been expanding my distances and listening to a 3 year old "Mom!  We already run here!".   It's really changed my running!

2) Buffy Espadrille Wedge Sandals
I mentioned I was rebuying these back when they were on super sale and now that I've been wearing them, I'm so glad I did!  I started wearing them to work where I mostly sit so no comfort issues.  Then I wore them to my niece's rehearsal dinner where I was mostly on my feet for 3 hours and they were still really comfortable!  I was really surprised with the 4.5" heel but still no problems!  I wasn't sure I needed another pair of nude wedges because I still have and wear these....but these feel a little more versatile?  I don't wear the others to work when I will wear these.  Definitely a good buy.


3) Physicians Formula Super BB All-in-One Cheek & Lip Beauty Balm, Berry Pink


Sometimes I have to go back through these old posts to figure out what I have and haven't written about already.  And I was surprised I never wrote about these!  I got this one for Christmas last year (off my Elfster list) and it's my go-to lip color!  I first bought it in peach which was not a good color for me, at all.  But I love this one!  I only use it on my lips because I'm too pale for that much color on my cheeks but it's perfect for adding a little color without messing with lipsticks or other lip stuff.  So easy to throw on while running out the door!

4) Lace Top
This is one of those clothing items I had seen heralded many times on blogs as being as comfortable and easy and versatile.  I finally bought one and I completely agree.  It's as comfortable as a regular tee but the lace makes it just a little bit fancier, perfect for so many occasions.  I've worn it work.  I've worn it to church.  I wore it when my husband and I had a date night to see Jim Gaffigan perform.  There are probably about 100 places I could wear it.  Mine was a ThredUp purchase (more on that coming next week) so I can't link to my exact one but I higher recommend anyone trying one.  Now that I'm hooked I'm on the lookout for different colors: black, blue, grey, pretty much any color I wear.  These are super versatile and so comfortable.  Such an easy way to make an ordinary outfit a little more special.

5) The Olympics

We are not big sports people.  We watch the occasional Colts game, the Superbowl, American Ninja Warrior (if you count that), and the Olympics.  Now, I realize they are over and there isn't much you can do about going back and watching them...but...this still did take a lot of our time in August.  We set our DVR to record all the NBC coverage and then could fast forward through the boring stuff (whyyyyyyyy so many semi-finals, quarter-finals in track and swimming?!?!?  Show medal races and then some of the other random sports too!) and non-medal stuff (for the most part) and watch what we wanted.  Now, this didn't necessarily keep us from going to bed earlier, especially on the nights of the gymnastics stuff (which NBC, for some dumb reason, held until about 11:55 even though it had actually happened hours earlier and they had spoiled it all over social media...) and some beach volleyball kept us up late the next week.  Lucky for us Matt was off the second week so we could stay up late and sleep in the next morning.  (I was texting with my little sister one of those nights we were up late and she said she was assuming I was already in bed reading because of this post which had just gone up...we really do stick to that schedule most of the time...besides the Olympics...)

Anyways, love the Olympics and we always watch a lot of it.  I'm not proud of every parenting choice we've made, definitely, but we mostly do keep Luke off the tv...again, besides the Olympics where he watched quite a bit with us.  Just the perfect thing to have on in the background while working at the house or waiting out rain at the lake.  Interesting for Matt & I.  Interesting for Luke.  Two thumbs up, Olympics.  Thanks for keeping us entertained.  (And two thumbs down, NBC.  You need to work on what you show and when.) 

No comments: