Wednesday, August 16, 2017

ICOTW: Sweet Peach Ice Cream


Peach is probably the first kind of homemade ice cream I ever had.  It's the one my Dad made most frequently growing up and I remember eating a half-melted bowl on many hot summer nights. This ice cream holds a strong nostalgia factor for me. 

A few weeks ago one of my brother-in-laws texted saying that he had a bunch of fresh peaches from his sister's orchard and we could come pick some up.

Um...yes.  That's the BEST kind of text to get. 

Luke and I stopped over later that day to pick up a box of peaches that hadn't yet been off the tree 24 hours.  They were PERFECT.  When we got home I took off my purse and sunglasses and immediately stood over the sink to eat 4.  (They were so juicy that the standing over the sink part was necessary.)

You can guess who won favorite brother-in-law for the day/week (and that's no small honor, I have 13 of them).

We ate A LOT of fresh peaches over the next few days but that wasn't going to come close to using them all.  I peeled and froze some, probably to use in smoothies.  I made peach crisp for a family reunion.  And, of course, I made ice cream. 

(I also made this peach champagne sorbet, FINALLY using up the last of the champagne from my sister's bridal shower mimosas, because the 1, 2, 3 drinks I had already made with that partial bottle didn't do it.  It was one hard working bottle of champagne.)

This was in a crazy 24 hour period where I felt it was necessary to make 3 kinds of ice cream to use up fruit before we went on a long lake weekend and it all went bad. (And we still took the box of peaches to the lake to eat.)  Way to kinda try my sanity: make 3 kinds of ice cream in 24 hours. All of this is partially what led to my recent-ish Instagram story where I showed our freezer with SIX kinds of homemade ice cream.  I have an ice cream making problem. (Which might be the best kind of problem to have, to be honest.)

Anyways, once we finally got to eating this one, from our multitude, it turned out to be rather delicious.  The super fresh peaches definitely contributed but mixed with some cream (both heavy and sour) and sugar it turned out to be a perfect summer dessert.  Or an "anytime you can get your hands on some fresh peaches" dessert.  I'd definitely recommend.

Note: I included weight measurements because that's the most accurate and my favorite way to measure, when available.  But the standard volume ones will still give you delicious ice cream! 

Easiest way to peel peaches: cut an X in the bottom and then place in a pot of boiling water for about 30 seconds.  Remove with a slotted spoon to a colander and run cold water over them.  Let them cool to the touch and then the skin should come right off! 
 

Sweet Peach Ice Cream
yield: about 1 quart
Ingredients
-1 1/3 pounds (600g) ripe peaches
-½ cup (125ml) water
-¾ cup (150g) sugar
-½ cup (120g) sour cream
-1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
-¼ tsp vanilla extract
-½ lemon worth of freshly squeezed lemon juice

Directions
1) Peel, pit, and slice the peaches into chunks. Cook them with the water in a medium saucepan over medium heat, covered, stirring a few times, until soft and cooked.  About 10 minutes.  Remove from heat, stir in the sugar, and let cool to room temp.

2) Puree the cooked peaches/sugar using a blender (immersion or regular) or food processor with the sour cream, heavy cream, vanilla, and lemon juice until almost smooth but leave a few chunks.

3) Chill, covered, for a few hours in the fridge then churn according to the instructions for your machine.  When churned, transfer to a freezer container and cover with a piece of parchment paper, pressing down to get out the air bubbles.  Freeze until solid!  (You will probably need to let sit for ~5 minutes at room temp before it's scoopable.)


Source: The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz

 Affliate links included, thanks for helping support the blog!
___________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites!

No comments: