Monday, July 2, 2018

Mixed Drink Monday: The Fruity Flamingo


A couple weeks ago I posted a flamingo drink recipe.  So if this sounds familiar just based on the title, you aren't totally off.  BUT this is a different flamingo recipe.  OBVIOUSLY I was going to make every flamingo named recipe I found (note to self: look on Pinterest for more flamingo drink recipes). 

This drink had large appeal because

1) the name, as established
2) I already had all the ingredients on hand, which is hugely important when I am cranking out drinks and ice cream like crazy but also VERY PARTICULAR about sticking to our grocery budget.

Really, if you'd ask my husband he'd say sticking to the grocery budget is my FAVORITE soap box issue, much more than recycling or people being on their phones all the time.  Also, he's the only one that hears about the grocery budget from me (until I write this) whereas PLENTY of people get to be on the receiving end of my other favorite issues, particularly recycling.  Yes, I will yell at you for throwing away recycables.  There is no excuse for that. 

I have to redirect myself before I turn this into another rant about recycling.  Just thinking about it gets my blood boiling.

I made this at the lake on a weekend where it rained almost constantly, we walked in the cottage to find a dead bird who had managed to poop all over the room before dying on the stove, and my in-laws' house was broken into back home.  It wasn't the most pleasant lake trip.  We cut it short after one night.  But I still managed to make two new drinks so, priorities are in order and all. 

And when you are dealing with cleaning up dead bird poop before the kids get into it (well, KID, singular, since the other one isn't mobile yet) and the chimney is leaking water...I needed a drink and an easy one.  This fit the bill.  I'd imagine it would also taste good even if you don't have to deal with a dead bird, which does mean most days of my life.

One year ago: Pineapple Mimosa
Two years ago:
Pina Colada Smoothie
Three years ago:
Peach Smoothies
Four years ago: Raspberry Limeade & Frozen Coconut Lemonade

The Fruity Flamingo
yield: one drink
Ingredients
3 TB (1.5 oz) vodka
3 TB (1.5 oz) peach schnapps
4 TB (¼ cup or 2 oz) pineapple juice
big splash of grenadine
ice

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a glass.  Enjoy!


Source: slightly modified from Pink Curlers
____________________________________________________________


In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page!

No comments: