Wednesday, July 1, 2020

ICOTW: Strawberry Buttermilk Ice Cream


It's July which means it's time for weekly ice cream posts again!  There was a time when I did these ice cream posts every week.  This is no longer that time.  I still make A LOT of ice cream in the summer (I think we have 6 tubs of homemade ice cream in our freezer, as well as two kinds of homemade popsicles) but I've found so many favorites in this project that I mix in a heavy dose of those in with trying new ones.  Which means I just intend of these to run throughout July but we'll see how ambitious I get in trying new recipes!  I only intended to make drink recipes through June but then kept making new ones...so those will continue every other week too (and I've already written some of those into August...I make A LOT of drinks at the start of summer and then just repeat favorites). 


I knew I was going to make a new strawberry ice cream because that's Matt's favorite and I bought A LOT of strawberries when they were in season and on sale.  I made two batches of this one because it's super easy but came across this featured recipe in a cookbook and threw it in as well.  The main appeal of it was the use of buttermilk since I now know someone with a cow (my sister).  I've met the cow that produced this buttermilk, which I'm pretty excited about (everything else came from Aldi).  If only I had picked the strawberries as well!  Alas, that is not something I made time for in June.  We'll have to settle for pretty local buttermilk.

This is certainly more involved than the strawberry ice cream post I linked above (no stove time on that one!) but the taste is outstanding.  The buttermilk lends a certain tang to it as well as a more complex flavor that comes with a more complex recipe.  It also has 4 different dairy products in it which is...quite a few.  BUT, you are rewarded for your work with a delicious ice cream.  Or, in the case of my family, they are rewarded for my work.  I am more than happy to share.


One year ago: Coconut Peach Popsicles

Two years ago: Strawberry Coconut Milk Popsicles
Three years ago: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
Four years ago: Raspberry Crisp Ice Cream (one of my VERY favorite find of all the ones I've made)

Five years ago: Clean Out the Freezer Popsicles


Roasted Strawberry & Buttermilk Ice Cream
yield: about 1 quart
Ingredients
Roasted Strawberries
-1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced about ½ inch thick
-1/3 cup sugar
-3 TB lemon juice

Ice Cream Base

-2½ ounces cream cheese, softened
-1/8 tsp sea salt


-2 cups whole milk
-2 TB + 2 tsp cornstarch
-1 2/3 cups heavy cream
-¾ cup sugar
-2 TB + 2 tsp light corn syrup
-1/3 cup buttermilk

Directions
1) Set out the cream cheese to soften in a medium size bowl.  Whisk in the salt once the cream cheese is soft.

2) For the strawberries, preheat the oven to 375°.  Combine the sliced strawberries with the sugar in an 8 inch glass baking dish and spread evenly.  Roast for 8 minutes or just until soft, let cool.  Process in a food processor or blender with the lemon juice.  Measure 2/3 of this mixture for the ice cream and refrigerate the rest to be used as an ice cream topping. (You need to fill the bottom of the dish to prevent burning, which is why you have to over make this.)

3) Measure out the 2 cups of whole milk in a glass measuring cup and then pour about 2 TB into a separate small container.  Add the cornstarch to this small container and whisk to make a slurry.  Pour the remaining milk from the measuring cup into a medium saucepan.  Add the heavy cream, sugar, and corn syrup to the sauce pan as well.

4) Bring the saucepan mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and let boil for 4 minutes.  Remove from heat and slowly whisk in the cornstarch-milk slurry.  Put back over medium-high heat and return to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute.  Remove from heat.

5) Slowly add the hot stove mixture to the bowl with the cream cheese and salt, whisking constantly.  Add the measured 2/3 cup of strawberry puree and the buttermilk, blending well.  Refridgerate until cool or overnight.

6) Churn according to your machine's instructions and then pack into a freezer-safe container, placing a piece of parchment paper on top.  Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.




Source: Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home by Jeni Britton Bauer (a FANTASTIC ice cream cookbook, if you are in the market for one of those!)
__________________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a different homemade ice cream (or other frozen treat) each week and report back here, good or bad!  I call it "Ice Cream of the Week".  You can follow the "ICOTW" tag to see them all chronologically or go to my "Recipes" page and scroll down to the "Ice Cream/Frozen Things" section for my favorites! 
 

No comments: