Thursday, August 4, 2022

Looking Back at July 2022

WHAT. A. MONTH.  When we hit August 1st a few days ago I was remarking to Matt that it was a month ago that we had dug the sandbox.  IT WAS ONLY A MONTH AGO.  July was packed full of fun, as it should be since it's the best month of the year (my birthday month so I am biased).  We had three camping trips (not entirely intentional, just how it worked when coordinating with others).  Celebrated the 4th of July, my birthday, Luke's adoption day, BACKSTREET BOYS concert, did a ziplining birthday outing for a godson, went to the drive-in, ate a lot of wonderful fruit, Matt had a bachelor party for his nephew (who is also in his 30s, this isn't like my nephews, the oldest of whom is 12).  It felt like a really long month in the best way ever.  I would say it was exhausting but we finished with most of a week on a lazy vacation to Michigan so...ended caught up on sleep!  

Now, I am in FIRM denial that school is starting in less than a week.  What the what.  I do not like anything about that and am excited about exactly zero parts of school.  ZERO.  No redeeming factors there.  But, Luke must learn so back into the school routine we will get.  First we have Sam's adoption day to celebrate, ANOTHER camping trip (not before school), and maybe a(nother) day at a Lake Michigan beach (if weather cooperates)!  Holding onto summer for as long as we can, as much as we can!

Looking back:
1 year ago: What to Do with Fresh Peaches
2 years ago: Backyard String Lights: A How-To & Shopping List
3 years ago: {7} Books About Space Travel
4 years ago: On Fridays I Wear Blue (still true)
5 years ago: Book Love: The Shark Club
6 years ago: Friday Five: Favorite NYC Reads (Contemporary Fiction)
7 years ago: Easy Peasy Coffee Cake
8 years ago: Reasons Why the Drive-In is Awesome (and You Should Go)

9 years ago: The Adoption Process

1) Sunset at the drive-in!  Packed that into a very busy long weekend for the 4th!
2) A fun few hours at the lake, boys loved swimming!
3) Fireworks!
4) I had a strange little companion to watch the downtown fireworks from our backyard.  First frog I've ever seen in our yard!
5) Camping at Jellystone, seriously a highlight of the summer, I love camping and we had a wonderful experience at Jellystone this year! (Rent a cabin, even rustic, doesn't matter nearly as much if it rains!)
6) BACKSTREET BOYS CONCERT.  This was the same weekend at Jellystone camping AND we had a family gathering between leaving camp at 9am Sunday morning and my BSB concert at 7:30 that evening.  It was a VERY busy day and I'm still a bit amazed it all worked out.
7) Backstreet Boys, I went by myself (with 25k other fans) and had a fantastic time.  Would highly recommend if you can't find anyone to go with! (Also helps that I paid for nicer (not nearly the nicest) seats so the people around me were pretty into the concert too.)
8) Sandbox DONE.  DONE.  Digging was hard work but getting the sand to fill it had complicated timing with Matt's work schedule and when places were open.  It was SO EXCITING to get that done!
9) A BLUE morning glory in JULY!  It's been years, maybe over a decade since I've had any blue ones bloom before late September/October and this year they popped up well before my birthday!  I always plant MANY packets of blue seeds and they finally bloomed on time!  Although, we had them for a few days and no blue ones since...
10) Blueberries!  Boys and I picked 10 pounds, they were delicious!
11) One of the highlights of my summer, reading on the porch, in this year, before the boys are awake.  I love it and will miss it dearly once school starts.
12) Those magical few days were the peaches are PERFECT.  I got 50lbs from The Peach Truck and ate SO MANY of them over the sink with juice dripping down my arm.  Amazing.
13) Back at the zoo!  Of course, we've only been that one time in mid-July since activating our pass again but hopefully this week again still!
14) Grand Haven beach on Lake Michigan.  GORGEOUS.
15) A birthday sunset at the beach, haven't had one of those since Hawaii 15 years ago!
16) This is the exact moment I came around on Matt's paddleboard purchase a few weeks earlier.  Paddling down the beach to get a selfie with the lighthouse we had walked out to the night before?  Yes.  I am now on board. (Literally.  HAH.  Although, to be fair, I sat on my bum to do all this paddling, Lake Michigan was wavy and it was my first time using it, Matt stood just to take his picture and got knocked in the water right away.  I stayed sitting.)

Books finished: 12, hasn't been a great reading year for me!
Miles ran:
64.7.  Hit my goal, got a lot of running ahead of me still this year!
Currently watching:
We just finished The Right Stuff on Disney+ (enjoyed it) and now we just started a 6 month free trial of Discovery+ which means I have House Hunters in my life again.  I love me some House Hunters.  
Most read post this month: Fizzy Flamingo followed by Stripping: Laundry Style
Luke's current favorite song:
I just asked him and his answer was "Bad Boys".
Sam's current favorite song: "Kids" by MGMT, we listened to this so many times on the drive to and from Maine.

Farewell July!  You were the best.  August, please be gentle, homework likely awaits somewhere in you.

No comments: