Monday, August 10, 2020

Mixed Drink Monday: Tropical Margarita Sangria


Here's the thing about sangrias.  You generally need to make them a bit ahead of time so the flavors can all blend together.  Here's something else about this particular sangria recipe, it's pretty easy to throw it together.  I got it all in a glass once we had unpacked at the lake and then stuck it in the fridge.  The next morning I opened the fridge and was ready to rage at whoever had left a weird looking drink in the fridge.  Then I realized it was me and the weird looking drink was this sangria.  In my defense, I hadn't ever made a sangria with kiwis before and wasn't expecting how they looked.  I later strained it before taking these pictures and drinking it but just be warned, kiwis soaking in wine and alcohol overnight might make them look a bit like a science experiment.


Regardless of that initial look, I was curious to try this one since it billed itself as a "margarita sangria".  I've had sangrias.  I've had margaritas.  I've never combined the two although that turned out to be pretty easy.  It was basically a margarita with some chopped fruit and wine.  Or sangria with tequila and triple sec. And also contained my most frequently used mix-ins of pineapple juice.  All of that made for a delightfully colored drink (after some straining) and a unique and delicious drink.  If you have some wine to use up (raises hand), this is an excellent use for it (that's also assuming you have a lot of other things sitting around though).  This might be the first time I've used kiwi in a drink.  Nice to have finally tried that!

One year ago: Frozen Peach Lemonade
Two years ago:
DIY Sweet & Sour Mix
Three years ago: Coconut Lemonade

Four years ago: Pina Colada
Five years ago: Blackberry Rum Fizz
Six years ago: Raspberry Mojito & Peach Lemonade


Tropical Margarita Sangria
yield: one drink
Ingredients
-8 ounces (1 cup) white wine
-4 ounces (½ cup) pineapple juice

-½ ounce (1 TB) triple sec
-1 ounce (2 TB) tequila
-juice from one lime (about 1 TB)
-1 kiwi, peeled and sliced thin
-½ cup strawberries, sliced thin
-ice

Directions
Combine all ingredients besides ice in a glass and stir well.  Let sit in the fridge for at least a couple hours and add ice before serving!  Enjoy!



Source: Modified from Wine and Glue
____________________________________________________________
In the summer I aim to make a new drink every week and share them all here, good or bad!  See them all in chronological order by following the "Mixed Drink Monday" tag here or check out my favorites by scrolling down to "Mixed Drink Monday" on my recipes page

No comments: