Thursday, April 1, 2021

Looking back at March

March 2021.  It has been, from what I remember, a much warmer March than we got last year.  I've run to school pick-up maybe 5 times and walked a few more.  The boys have spent a lot of time in the backyard, so much so that I appreciate the occasional rainy afternoon because it makes homework easier when a certain kid isn't itching to get outside.  School stayed open all month!  That's very exciting.  It was a little eerie living the 3rd week of March especially, the week when it all happened a year ago.  So many memories of a year earlier came back, what our lives were like on these days in 2020.  Life is very different now, I think I see a vaccination card on social media or in a group text nearly daily now!  

Both boys have March birthdays so we open and close the month with celebrating those.  Those have been nice markers for what I previously thought of as a "nothing" month.  Flowers are blooming, trees are budding, and our grass is looking actual green.  I spent many afternoons/evenings doing yard clean-up, which I never want to do but always appreciate having done.  It was a good month.  Luke went to school every day!

Looking back:
1 year ago: Adjusting to this New Normal, Corona Quarantine - Week #2 (March 2020 gets two because...March 2020)
2 years ago: Dingle
3 years ago: Book Love: Castle of Water by Dane Hucklebridge (I still think about this book often)
4 years ago: Double Chocolate Muffins
5 years ago: Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cobble
6 years ago: NOLA & Cruise #2
7 years ago: IKEA
8 years ago:
Making Room for Baby & Some Other Stuff (where I'm writing about prepping for a potential baby who, turns out, has already been born, we just didn't know it yet)
9 years ago: Foot & Adoption Process (where I had my first foot surgery on a Thursday (during tax season), we threw a bridal shower for my sister on Sunday and afterwards told my sisters we were adopting.  I spent that March recovering, working on adoption paperwork, and planning our Europe trip.)

1) 6am on March 1st, the last time the lights were on!  They came down later that day as part of my transition to spring.  We are finishing up our dark month with no porch lights and no string lights (we plan to put them up over spring break next week!).
2) Prepping a balloon garland the night before Sam's birthday!  These are fun to have up every spring!
3) Birthday bike ride for Sam!  And Luke is comfortable doing longer rides without the tagalong but we'll probably still use it if we, say, can bike to a baseball game downtown this year (those late nights coming home...tagalong will be appreciated).
4) Sam wanted to take pictures...of my water bottle and the balloons apparently.
5) Luke at the library, diving right into books!  I love to see this! 
6) The first time we ran to pick-up.  I had done a couple solo runs at this point but stroller running is a whole other thing!
7) We got good strawberries and made shortcake and it tasted like summer.
8) Beautiful backyard sunset.
9) Day before St. Patrick's Day, wearing my green sweatshirt, had green nails, and made green cookies.  We leaned in pretty hard this year and we loved it.
10) This was my first 2000 piece puzzle.  It took me 3 weeks and it gave me a lot of time to listen to podcasts.  I was AMAZED that all the pieces were there by the end, after it sat out for 3 weeks!
11) Sam got an umbrella from his godfather for his birthday and was the HAPPIEST kid when he woke up a few days later to rain.  I was less excited.
12) If homework goes well the boys get Dude Perfect before bed.  It's extra motivating the nights there are new episodes.  I really appreciate this.
13) We, for SOME REASON, took the railing off Sam's crib.  He had been napping 4-5 days a week still (we attempted every day).  WHY did we do that to ourselves!?!?!?!? (Because he's 3 and was still in a crib.)  Guess who has mostly stopped napping and prefers to make messes all over the upstairs? 
14) Darth Vader seems a bit out of place with the balloons.
15) WE GOT HYMNALS BACK AT MASS.  They had announced it the week before but I forgot and literally gasped when we walked in and saw them.  Science has shown we're unlikely to get COVID through surfaces (and I've checked out over 1000 library books since they reopened and haven't gotten it from those either).  Even with many safety precautions still in place, this is the most normal Mass has felt in over a year.  And just in time for Easter!
16) Working hard on his new Lego set! 

Books finished: 15!  Good month of reading!
Miles ran:
10.6 miles!!  But in 9 runs.  Yes, do that math.  These haven't been long runs but we started family runs with the boys (Sam is in and out of the jogging stroller about 5 times per run) that have been under a mile so far.  Then I never seem to get out of the house as early as I should for my runs to school pick-up.
Currently watching:
I was briefly caught up on The Office (only 1.5 episode behind now) with The Office Ladies podcast AND I'm caught up on Grey's which RARELY happens (it's the most depressing season ever, I KNOW they are working at a hospital in a pandemic but....it's still super depressing).  Matt and I switched to watching House Hunters while we had a free month of Hulu but we'll be back to Community soon.
Most read post this month:
Still Stripping: Laundry Style although definitely way fewer than it's peak last summer.  Followed (far behind) by Quick Lit - March and Mixed Drink Monday: The Fizzy Flamingo.
Luke's current favorite song: You've Got a Friend in Me by Randy Newman is still a heavy favorite when I am willing to play it (got burnt out on that song quickly) which we did a lot on his recent birthday. 

April brings Easter, spring break (somehow Matt got the whole week off...so we can be home together and do family things, get things done, and turn off the 5:30am alarms).  More flowers and rain and being outside and enjoying spring!!

No comments: