Friday, July 2, 2021

Looking back at June

We are half way through 2021.  What the what.  It hasn't been the magically healing year it seemed everyone was hoping for when we were desperate for the calendar to turn off of 2020 (although, not so much the feeling in this house, 2020 wasn't a horrible year for us) but there is something so refreshing about the world largely returning to normal.  Not summer 2019 normal but much much closer to it than we were a year ago!  Everything we get to do this summer that we couldn't last summer feels so exciting (vacation! baseball games! singing at mass!) and like nature (and science, thanks for those vaccines) healing itself.  It's been a good summer, even if, per usual, it is going WAY TOO FAST.  I don't even want to think about back to school which will start showing up at Target any day now.  (Good thing I am very heavily reliant on Target drive-up orders and rarely go in the store!)

We still have a lot of summer adventures and fun left to be had, our calendar is filling up fast with zoo trips and play dates and such.  Hoping to knock out some more projects at home too.  And eat the first things from our new raised garden beds!  Things are pretty exciting around here!

Looking back:
1 year ago: Honey Lemon Margarita
2 years ago: Patriotic Kabobs
3 years ago: Traveling with a Two Month Old
4 years ago: {5} Thoughts on Air Conditioning (I was JUST thinking about this post today.)
5 years ago: The One Where Diana Hates Stain (Luke still uses this desk but it is in DESPERATE need of a clean out)
6 years ago: Festive 4th of July Fruit Pizza Cookies
7 years ago: Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
8 years ago:
Food DIY - Taco Seasoning (I still make and use this exclusively!)
9 years ago:
Dingle to Cobh

1) Made a lot of zoo trips this month, checking out the alligator here (not my favorite animal).
2) Things are PLANTED AND GROWING in our garden beds and it's so exciting.  It's been 4 years since we had a garden and I forgot how exciting it was to see daily growth!
3) I went back to work after a week off for vacation (I work a whooping 4 hours a week right now) and there were donuts which is all I ever want when I go into work.
4) One of the best parts of summer break is that the boys sleep in and I almost always get some reading time in the morning between working out & showering and the boys waking up.  It is a LOVELY part of my day.
5) Strawberry picking!  Got 10 pounds relatively easily!
6) And then enjoying some strawberry shortcake.  It was delicious.
7) Our first solo family camping trip.  We went a day late because of forecasted severe weather (it was dark enough at 8:30am that our string lights turned on in the morning for the first time ever) and then got a DUMPING of rain on our second night while we were trying to make supper. This is our camp across the pond we were next to. 
8) A lovely part of camping, before the rain, I love golden hour, especially when camping.
9) And hobo dinners around the fire.  It was a lovely lovely time until that darn rain.
10) Canoeing on the Pigeon River, did 8 miles over at least 5 hours which was fun and also very tiring.
11) Blueberry haul from the backyard!  And then the birds seemed to have found our bushes and we've only gotten about 3 more berries.
12) At the zoo, again (and we went more times than pictured!), with a tortoise, I don't know why he thought he needed a map.
13) String lights in the backyard, they are so happy!
14) Bike ride downtown on a hot summer evening!
15) Yes, the zoo again!  I avoided the petting zoo for years because I don't want to go in with the goats (or pet any animals) but now Luke will take Sam in while I watch from the other side of the fence and we are all happy!
16) Boys both got to touch stingrays on this trip!  It was very exciting!

Books finished: 14
Miles ran:
47.9
Currently watching:
Making It! with Matt; American Ninja Warrior sometimes with the boys, sometimes just Matt & I.  I think I still have 2 episodes of Grey's Anatomy to finish?  I lost steam on that once school was out.
Most read post this month: Stripping: Laundry Style (for over a year now!), Fizzy Flamingo (I don't know why this one has gotten such traction), Quick Lit - June 2021, and Vacation Ponderings.
Luke's current favorite song:
  "Shut Up and Dance"
Sam's current favorite song: direct quote "I like nice calm music."

July brings a lot of summer fun, blueberry picking, zoo trips, fireworks, ice cream eating (and making), my birthday, and avoiding thinking about school!  It's peak summer and my favorite month of the year!

No comments: