Thursday, May 16, 2019

A Day in the Life #10 (Luke 6, Sam 14 months)

I try to do these every 6ish months and it's SO interesting to me to look back and see how much our schedule and lives can change even when so many days feel the same.  I say this every time but I highly recommend the exercise to everyone - especially those in these years with young ones who are constantly growing and changing.  I'm not going to remember nearly every day I've spent with my boys but these give me a nice snapshot of a time in our lives!

Monday, May 13, 2019
5:55am - my alarm starts
6:15am - I get out of bed, change into workout clothes, go downstairs, do Moment screenshot, update podcasts, top off my water bottle, get to working out.
6:45am - Finished working out, log my water consumption (22 ounces down already!), switch from podcasts to music, get in the shower.  While I am getting clean, Matt gets up the boys and gets them started on breakfast.
7:05am - Dressed and see what the boys are all up too.  Sam doesn't want his usual breakfast (is he sick??), Luke is being a bit of a stinker.  I finished getting make-up on and doing something with my hair while coaching Luke through getting dressed (it's just that kind of morning).  Get Sam cleaned up to toddle around.  Make Luke's PB&J (packed the rest the night before) and put his lunchbox in his backpack.
7:30am - Matt leaves.
7:35am - We get jackets on and grab library books to return and out the door.  Get the boys buckled, drop Luke off at school (reviewing some school things on the way - counting by 2s, days of the week, etc.).  Return library books and back home.
7:55am - Inside with Sam who is a little whiny (we blame teeth).  I sit down to eat my breakfast and Sam does want the rest of his now.  My Mom calls right as I'm done so I talk to her while getting Sam cleaned up and down to play.
8:25am - Off the phone with My Mom, play on the floor with Sam a bit.  He must have not slept well because he's extra cuddly.  We (kinda) read a book and he plays with some Duplos.
8:45am - I spot clean some windows.  Notice the gutter guy is here and go talk to him, asking if we can keep the old gutters because Matt wants to use those to replace the ones on the garage.  Finish cleaning windows and finish cleaning the bathroom (Luke does part as his Saturday morning chore).
9:05am - Sam goes to bed.  He is done fussing before I am even down the stairs.  I start water for tea and put a load of laundry in.  Put tea bag in hot water.  Tidy up the couple toys Sam left out.  Read my devotional for the day.  Get my tea and add honey.

9:25am - I sit down to read just one chapter of a new book which turns into 20 minutes.  It really was just one chapter.  Then check Instagram for the first time since Friday and post a picture for our anniversary.
10:15am - I get a yogurt to eat while I read a couple blog posts on my computer.  I can usually get through them quicker on my computer than phone plus it's easier to comment on my computer.  Then start all the computer things I do on Mondays: log my time in a spreadsheet (from an e-mail Toggl send every Monday), go through e-mails and PDF any bills or receipts from purchases made over the weekend, check on some tracking for packages, upload pictures from both my phone and our DSLR and sort and tag those, update my page a day journal from the weekend, and check Facebook for the first time since Friday.
11:25am - Remember I want to post this post on Thursday so go back and fill in what I've been doing all day (thanks to Toggl and time stamps and just routine, I have a pretty good idea).
11:35am - Get this post up to date and finish up Quick Lit for Tuesday.
12:05pm - finish blog work, turn off computer, and go get Sam to get him changed. 
12:25pm - Downstairs to make lunch for Sam and I.  We eat.  I clean-up.
12:45pm - Sam is still fussy so I hold him for a bit, play with him on the floor, try to keep him happy.

1:40pm - I do actual work for a bit, watching Center Stage in the background.
2:15pm - I stop work, change Sam's diaper, get the stroller loaded and we walk to pick-up.

3:05pm - We are back home with Luke and his cousin who walks home with us some days.  I get Sam settled for a nap.  Luke had gotten all his school papers out of his backpack so I go through those, see what they are working on at school.  Take care of his lunchbox which he put next to the sink.

3:25pm - I fold laundry in the basement while listening to a podcast.  Luke plays with his cousin on the main floor while Sam is napping upstairs.  I put away some dish towels and things.

3:45pm - I read in the kitchen while Luke and his cousin are still happily playing!  Doesn't always work out that way but today it did!
4:15pm - Help the two kids clean-up, talk to my sister once she arrives to pick up her daughter.  They leave.
4:40pm - Get the last load of laundry (socks and rags) out of the dryer.  Put rags right into the rag bin and then Luke and I match socks.  I do mine and Matt's.  Luke matches his (and has to turn most of them the right side out) and I fold them together.

5:05pm - Sit down with Luke to do his homework folder and go through sight words.  He has quite the stack after almost a whole school year!
5:25pm - We get Sam up and change his diaper.  Matt is home shortly after.  We get ready to head out to eat for our anniversary.  Earlier in the month we had a date night at the drive-in (no kids!) so the boys are with us for this one.
5:45pm - Walk to a nearby restaurant.  Luke is excited about his burger, Sam is kinda all over the place.  We order, talk, eat, take more bathroom trips than you would think are necessary (a lot of hand washing) and then walk home.
7:00pm - Back home and immediately start the bath water.  I'm on bath duty, get the boys clean, Sam is out pretty quick, get him dressed and Matt takes him to put to bed.  Luke listens to one of his "stories" (podcasts) in the tub while I scroll Instagram and then wash my face. 
7:45pm - Get Luke dressed, supervise teeth brushing.  We say prayers with Matt and then I read him a picture book.  Matt puts Luke to bed.  I pack Luke's lunch for the next day, do miscellaneous house straightening up and getting coats out for the morning school run. 

8:30pm - Matt and I each have a lemon bar in the kitchen while we talk about the day.  Then we fold our laundry while watching Splitting Up Together.  Get ready for bed and put away our laundry.  Lay out my clothes for the next day.
9:30pm - In bed, before it's pitch black outside.  The me of a year ago would be shocked by this.  School days means we get to bed much earlier most of the time!  Of course I read before lights off.

And that's a day!  Life is much different than a year ago, much much different than 18 months ago!

Day in the Life 1 - November 2013 (Luke 7½ months)
Day in the Life 2 - June 2014 (Luke 14 months)
Day in the Life 3 - November 2014 (Luke 20 months)
Day in the Life 4 - January 2016 (Luke 2 ¾)
Day in the Life 5 - July 2016 (Luke 3 ¼)
Day in the Life 6 - January 2017 (Luke 3¾)
Day in the Life 7 - October 2017 (Luke 4½)
Day in the Life 8 - April 2018 (Luke 5, Sam 2 months)
Day in the Life 9 - November 2018 (Luke 5½, Sam 8 months)

No comments: