Thursday, November 8, 2018

A Day in the Life #9 (Luke 5½, Sam 8 months)

Life has changed A LOT since I did one of these last fall (here) and even since I did one 6 months ago.  We're on a school schedule which makes a big difference in how our days go!  Other than school runs, we were home all day which seems so rare but I really enjoy it when it does happen.  And both boys were getting sick (2 days later, when I am writing this, Luke is actually home sick from school) which made for a rough end of the night and rough nights.  It's never good when all 4 of us are awake at 3am!  But otherwise, the day was fairly typical for a (mostly) day at home.

Monday, November 5th, 2018
6:10am - My alarm starts.  Matt is already at work to "warm-up" machines before their first treatments (he does this once or twice a week). 
6:23am - I actually get up after hitting snooze a few times.  Change into workout clothes, make bed, take meds, download new podcasts.
6:30am - Quick workout, I have been really bad about these lately, it's rare I do a full one!
6:45am - Shower and get around
7:02am - Luke woke up on his own (thank you time change) and is on the stairs when I open the bathroom door.  He talks to me while I do my make-up.
7:10am - We get Sam up, I talk Luke through getting dressed, get Sam his bottle in his high chair.
7:15am - Luke and I sit to eat breakfast (cereal pretty much always).

7:28am - Luke brushes his teeth in the bathroom while I run around the house opening blinds while I brush mine.  Pack up Sam, get coats on, put Luke's lunch in his backpack, all head out the door.  Do the school morning run and I return books to the library and mail a card on my way back home.
7:55am - Back home, I change into my slippers, Sam plays on the floor for a bit while I put away his laundry.  I hold Sam to get him to finish his bottle.
8:30am - Sam and I go upstairs so he can crawl around while I dust baseboards and door frames.  Sam gets into a lot of Luke's stuff but that's what happens with a little brother!  Haha.  Sam goes down for a nap.  I clean the bathroom, refill toilet paper and hand soap, make more window cleaner, take care of apples that had been dehydrating overnight, spot clean windows, water plants, group text with my sisters and Mom about Thanksgiving food.


9:45am - On computer to clean-up e-mails from the last few days (I rarely turn on my computer over the weekend), printing PDFs to my desktop for any orders placed so later I can enter them in my Money/budget tracking software.  I paint the nails on my left hand, read a few blog posts, make an Amazon order for Christmas presents, go through my upcoming Grove order, enter my time from the week before from Toggl into a spreadsheet.


10:30am - Work from home on my work laptop and eat a snack (one of these).


11:00am - Sam is awake, get him up, cuddle, change his diaper, feed him a bottle while checking Instagram for the first time today.


11:45am - Clean out Luke's various "treasure" (junk) boxes and consolidate them to one.  Clean out tub of Halloween decorations and extra costumes.  Sam is playing with toys and crawling around on the floor.
12:25pm - I eat lunch (this), Sam has finger foods.  I wash the dehydrator (the WORST part of dehydrating apples)
12:55pm - Sam is down for a nap.  I read my devotional, check Facebook, read a couple blog posts, sort Sam's 8 month pictures I took over the weekend, paint my right hand nails, and work on bills.


2:15pm - Get Sam, load up the stroller and walk to pick-up Luke from school.  It's actually faster to walk than it is to drive but with winter coming we won't be doing that much longer.  Sam has a bottle on the way.  We pick-up Luke and my niece and take a slightly longer way home to look at pretty fall colors.  We unpack Luke's school stuff and go through his papers from the day, Sam goes back down for a nap since he barely slept before pick-up.

3:15pm - Talk to Matt on the phone who is at Target checking out Halloween clearance deals.  (We later determine he should not do this unsupervised.)  Return a call about volunteering at church, make a snack for the two school kids, go through the mail.
3:50pm - Matt is home and we go through the costumes he bought.  They were 90% off and we got the boys set for the next couple years (will that stop us from looking at clearance costumes again next year? No.)
4:25pm - My sister is here to pick-up her daughter, I talk to her a bit and they leave.
4:35pm - Sam is napping, Matt and Luke are working on cleaning up the garage, I work on bills.

5:25pm - I make supper (this).  While it cooks I do Luke's homework with him and Sam is awake and eating snacks.
6:10pm - I read some picture books to Luke while supper continues to cook.
6:25pm - We all eat, Sam enjoys some chicken with us, clean-up from supper.
7:00pm - I supervise Luke's bath while Matt feeds Sam his last bottles, changes him, and puts him to bed.  Get Luke out, dressed, and supervise teeth brushing.

8:00pm - Family prayers then Matt takes Luke up to tuck him into bed.
8:15pm - I finish up bills and work on filling out reimbursement paperwork for Matt's part of Vegas.  Take a break from that to work on our Christmas card. 
9:15pm - Matt scans in receipts before submitting them to work, I mend some pants of Luke's, pack Luke's lunch, make Sam's morning bottle, and give the downstairs a quick clutter pick-up.  Pick out my clothes for the next day and layout my workout clothes for the morning.
10:05pm - I am upstairs, both boys are still awake.  Luke has a horrible cough that gets worse at night and doesn't make sleeping easy for anyone.  Sam is on the verge of getting it and having trouble staying asleep (also not helped by Luke coughing a lot in their shared room).  It is 10:45pm before the boys are both asleep in their beds.  I read briefly and then it's lights off.  A very late night.

I didn't do so well with the picture taking for this post but that's just how life was going this day!  I love looking back and reading these, especially for when Luke was about the age Sam is now, seeing how much our lives have changed, routines shifted, and priorities tweaked!  I highly recommend the exercise even if you don't want to share it with the internet (but if you do, let me know because I definitely will read that).

Day in the Life 1 - November 2013 (Luke 7½ months)
Day in the Life 2 - June 2014 (Luke 14 months)
Day in the Life 3 - November 2014 (Luke 20 months)
Day in the Life 4 - January 2016 (Luke 2 ¾)
Day in the Life 5 - July 2016 (Luke 3 ¼)
Day in the Life 6 - January 2017 (Luke 3¾)
Day in the Life 7 - October 2017 (Luke 4½)
Day in the Life 8 - April 2018 (Luke 5, Sam 2 months)

No comments: